We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to San Diego, where's the best area to stay?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
reviews: 1
First trip to San Diego, where's the best area to stay?

Hi, i am a 31 year old guy from England, looking at going to San Diego for a holiday at the start of August, it'll just be me on my own, and i'll be coming from Anaheim where i am attending a convention the first weekend of the month, i've never been to SD before and have no clue as to the best area to stay, i am looking for somewhere thats in a nice area, i'm not too bothered about the beach but i wouldn't mind going there once or twice.

I don't drive, so would ideally need somewhere that i can get public transport or walk to places that i want to visit, i'm not a party animal so don't need to be in an area where there is lots of clubs, i'd like to visit seaworld, and all the main touristy stuff, but don't mind having to travel to get to things.

My budget is about £600-700 and i'd ideally be looking at staying for 8 nights.

Really hoping you guys on Tripadvisor can give me some good tips and suggestions as i haven't really a clue!

Edited: 11:17 am, February 20, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: First trip to San Diego, where's the best area to stay?

OK, with the price range and other comments, here is where I like.

It is the Old Town San Diego area, which has the Old Town Transit Center, which services multiple trains (Amtrak, COASTER and the San Diego Trolley), plus many buses to take you to places like SeaWorld and the Pacific/Mission Beach areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Town_Transit_Center_(MTS_Transit_Center)

Easy access from Anaheim, take the Amtrak south to the area (if you need Checked Luggage, you go to the Santa Fe Station, and then a short Taxi ride back to the Old Town area). Many Amtrak trains stop at Old Town, so if you carry on your own luggage, you can just get off there.

The Old Town Inn is an Extended Stay/Apartment Style Hotel and highly rated here at TA.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d80255-R…

If you want something a bit nicer, I would look at the Fairfield Inn.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d272662-…

And here are a couple of websites that deal with the Old Town area and its tourist options.

www.oldtownsandiego.org

www.oldtownsandiegoguide.com

Hope that helps.

San Diego...
2. Re: First trip to San Diego, where's the best area to stay?

I don't know how much that is in USD. Can you please convert it?

Brighton, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: First trip to San Diego, where's the best area to stay?

sorry, shoulda put that in but forgot, it'd be around $900-1000

4. Re: First trip to San Diego, where's the best area to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 22, 2014