We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cooroy, Australia
reviews: 56
Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

Hello, we are staying at the beach for one night Ocean Park Inn. We plan on arriving from Anaheim around lunch time and heading straight to seaworld , will spend a couple of hrs there before heading to hotel as I want to watch the sunset over the ocean. We will go back to seaworld for a few more hrs the following day. As we need to be back in LA late afternoon is there something else we should see or do before leaving ( I know we don't have a lot of time) or even on the way home.

Also food, I have been told Mexican or chowder in San Diego?? Is the Mexican good and is there somewhere in particular we should go to eat.

Family 4 inc 6/5 yr girls :)

London, United...
reviews: 156
1. Re: Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

San Diego Zoo is the best in the world. If you have anything more than two and a half hours that is what I think you should consider doing.

SoCal
reviews: 9
2. Re: Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

I don't think you have time for anything else. Check show times on Seaworld's web site so you can plan your shows out. We like Casa Guadalajara in Old Town. http://www.casaguadalajara.com/

Cooroy, Australia
reviews: 56
3. Re: Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

We were tossing up between the zoo and seaworld, Seaworld won ( the girls want to see the whales).

Casa Guadalajara looks great, exactly what I am chasing :)

London, United...
4. Re: Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

Can't blame them for wanting to see the whales. But that's no reason to skip the Zoo.

Get Seaworld done in a full day and free up the time day two for the Zoo. I don't think you could possibly regret it.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
5. Re: Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

With the few hours you have to spend here I think one theme park is plenty. It sounds like you are planning on leaving luggage in the car when you are at Seaworld. We recently had a visitor post their upset and outrage that their van was broken into and all their computers, etc. were stolen.

Hopefully, you'll have a car and not a van. It's hard to hide belongings in a van. Also, if in a car and all your luggage, etc. is in the trunk be sure NOT to open the trunk to put anything in or take anything out in the parking lot before you enter SeaWorld. Someone might see your luggage, etc.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 378
6. Re: Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

I've never ever heard of "chowder" being a San Diego thing, seafood yes and Mexican yes, but not chowder specifically.

Old Town is the last spot I'd go to for great Mexican food in San Diego, most of the restaurants serve up touristy versions of Mexican food.

Close to your hotel you have two opposite ends of Mexican food. You have Isabel Cantina from Isabel Cruz. It is higher end and cutting edge new Mexican cuisine.

isabelscantina.com/i/menus/Night-Front.pdf

The other end is low end, counter service, but great tasting none-the-less,

La Perla Cocina Mexicana. They do a more conventional Mexican menu of "street food", burritos, tacos etc.

…yelpcdn.com/bphoto/…l.jpg

Glendale, California
reviews: 449
7. Re: Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

Old Town San Diego is really neat to walk around and free. It gives you a bit of California History and a fun vibe.

I just went to the San diego area last weekend and we spent a few hours on Coronado Island and loved it. They have a great shopping/restaurant area that's fun to explore.

reviews: 789
8. Re: Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

On Coronado is Miguel's Cucina, very good Mexican food and desserts here. :)

Edited: 11:55 pm, February 16, 2013
SoCal
reviews: 9
9. Re: Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

I don't know if Casa Guadalajara is "touristy" per say but what it does offer is interesting decor, lively atmosphere, good ambiance, entertainment nights and weekends AND tasty food. We have gone there with locals and out of town guests and all like the restaurant for both the food and ambiance. There are also several interesting and good vegetarian selections, especially the veggie enchiladas. A walk around the Old Town area would be nice as well.

London, United...
10. Re: Staying at the beach, going to Seaworld What else??

Whether frequented by many tourists or not Casa Guadalajara is definitely what I would describe as touristy.

If your goal is to find authentic Mexican food in an authentic setting you can find it in San Diego but not at Casa Guadalajara.

But if you are happy being a tourist (and why the heck shouldn't you be?) then Casa Guadalajara serves tasty food in a lively setting.