We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

Going to be coming in late July and trying to decide between these two hotels.

2 Adults and 3 Kids (7, 10, and 11)

Any thoughts?

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
102 reviews
1. Re: Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

Hi and welcome to San Diego,

I've not stayed at either, but just based on the location, I would recommend the Holiday Inn over the Comfort Inn.

Both are in good neighborhoods and bot are pretty convenient to all the major attractions; it's just that the Comfort Inn is right along Interstate 8 in "Hotel Circle"--an area of nothing but motels.

The Holiday Inn is closer to the harbor front and will be a little more scenic and have some shopping and restaurants nearby.

One other place you should consider is the Homewood Suites at LIberty Station (Not far from the Holiday Inn).

Homewood Suites has free parking and free breakfasts and it's within a short walk to a small park where the kids could blow off some steam if they wanted to. There are also some restaurants and grocery stores nearby as well.

Hope that helps.

Zed

P.S. Can I give you a shopping list for some things from Jungle Jim's in Fairfield to bring out for me?? :-) Used to live in Batesville, IN and would go there a lot.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
18,335 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

HOLIDAY INN !! Much better location and is much more scenic. There's even restaurants within walking distance and across the street. Jimmy's Famous Tavern, Pizza Nova, Pt Loma Seafood, Mitch's Seafood Landing, etc.

Comfort Inn, as said, along side a busy freeway and nothing to walk to.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
49,104 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

I agree that the Holiday Inn location is much nicer!

Hopefully you'll have a car during your visit?

The location is not good for a family to try to use public transport.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
4. Re: Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

There is now a Jungle Jims in the eastgate area of Cincinnati and is about 4 miles from our house.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
40,146 posts
391 reviews
5. Re: Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

Holiday Inn is a great place for kids and a pretty good location, assuming you have a rental car.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
18,335 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

Yes, definitely need the car.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 posts
7. Re: Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

We will have a car for sure. Leaning towards the comfort inn though right now. It just looks like a much nicer room, and i worry about what the rooms would be like at the holiday inn (size wise). And we would have to get a roll away bed for one of the kids there.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
49,104 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

The Holiday Inn says it has kids rooms with bunk beds and also suites .

I suppose you are looking for an inexpensive suite and that is why the Comfort Suites seems a better choice. We were only responding to the information you gave us soooo of course pick the one that fits your budget the best.

You can always drive to the pretty spots during your stay!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
56 reviews
9. Re: Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

i'd go for the holiday inn. at least there are things in the area that you can walk to and being on the bay would be nice. in hotel circle, there are some retaurants but it's a lousy area if you want to do a walk. it's just a noisy freeway area.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Holiday Inn Bayside or Comfort Inn Suites Zoo/Seaworld

Actually there is a nice bike/walking trail that goes between the Comfort Suites and Old Town, so that is an option. But it is otherwise in an isolated area. The Comfort Suites is one of a few in the chain that has a parking charge ($8.95 per night). But it does have a great location if you have a vehicle to get around.

Here is a marked map of the walking trail. (about 3/4 of a mile each way to the Old Town area) I would be a bit careful after sunset, as the trail is not well lit.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5821127