We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around San Diego without a car...

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern New Jersey
reviews: 157
Getting around San Diego without a car...

I know there are many posts about getting around SD without a car but can someone please freshen me up in regards to transportation if we stay near Seaport Village (Manchester Grand Hyatt).

We plan on hitting all the sights...

Day 1 - Balboa Park & San Diego Zoo

Day 2 - Point Luma / Ocean Beach - Coronado

Day 3 - Sea World - Mission Beach - Petco Park for a game

Day 4 - renting a car to head to La Jolla and off to Santa Barbara

Is this too ambitious? Is it fairly easy to get around via taxi, bus, ferry, etc...please help. Thanks again TA.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Getting around San Diego without a car...

1. Take the San Diego Trolley to the City College station and transfer to MTS Route 7.

2. Take the San Diego Trolley to the Old Town Station, and transfer to MTS route 35, then head back to the Downtown area using the Trolley and catch the 901 bus from the 12th and Imperial Station to Coronado.

3. Take the SD trolley to the Old Town Station, and transfer to Route 9 for SeaWorld, take Route 9 to Route 8 for Mission Valley, and then back using the San Diego Trolley 12th and Imperial Station and walk to PETCO Park.

www.sdcommute.com

As for being ambitious, yes. Doable, yes, though I would drop off Mission Beach to make sure you make it to the Padres Game (I presume an evening game)

San Diego...
2. Re: Getting around San Diego without a car...

It would certainly make things much easier and save you a lot of time if you had a car while you were here given what you plan on doing. Even if you wait until after the 1st day (Zoo/Balboa Park is easy without) and pick it up on the morning of day 2.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: Getting around San Diego without a car...

Day 1 is easy and straight forward as mentioned above.

Day 2 -Not sure what you mean to see/do in Point Loma?

For Ocean Beach I expect the directions above are accurate.

Coronado is directly across the bay from your hotel.

You can certainly take a bus or just take the passenger ferry across the bay depending on what you'd like to see/do there.

IF you look under Top Questions on the right side of this page there is one about getting around on public transit which has 2 different trip reports with good details about bus routes/times etc.

IF you were trying to get to Cabrillo National Monument the schedule makes it a bit tricky without a car.

I don't remember when you are coming but most folks spend a day at Sea World and then Mission Beach is nearby so easy IF you have the time and energy because the baseball stadium will be back near your hotel(walking distance)

4. Re: Getting around San Diego without a car...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 15, 2014