We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need resort help with teens

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse NY
reviews: 5
Need resort help with teens

We will be traveling to San Diego for the first time in July with our 14 and 15 year olds. In reading through the forum, I'm trying to find the right place to stay where there would be enough to keep the kids happy and allow us to relax a little and do some sight seeing. I thought the pacific beach/mission bay area looks like the best choice. We would like a resort type place with some activities for the kids. I thought Pacific Heights and Ocean Park inn looked like nice places where the kids could venture out on the boardwalk a bit on days that we wanted to relax on the beach. We will have a car and plan to do the zoo, possibly seaworld etc. Also thought the Catamaran looks nice, but on bay side so assuming no big waves. Any thoughts? Any places I am missing. Would love a suite if we can find one, those at Pacific Heights are a little steep at $600 per night.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Need resort help with teens

The Catamaran is on the bay, but just a few blocks to the Pacific Ocean. (It is located on a Peninsula that makes up Mission Beach, and the very South end of Pacific Beach.)

Here is a marked map.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5816841

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
2. Re: Need resort help with teens

Look at Capri by the Sea in Pacific Beach. Individually owned condos rented out, with an agency to oversee. All units face the boardwalk and beach with large windows. There is a pool, but not in the complex. Next Door.

Walking distance to restaurants and shops, Crystal Pier and Mission Beach.

allseasonsresortlodging.com/san-diego/capri-…

We enjoyed our stay there.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
3. Re: Need resort help with teens

When looking for a Resort with Kids Activities, I wouldn't mention a Rental Condo Complex.

I would look at the Catamaran and their sister property, the Bahia, which is also by the bay in Mission Beach, and near Belmont Park, a small amusement park.

I also would look at the Paradise Point Resort, but it is not near the ocean, but instead on a small island in the middle of Mission Bay, so might not be a good match.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
4. Re: Need resort help with teens

The Catamaran is 1 block to the ocean! It is across the street and down 1 block to get there. They would have the choice of the manmade bay for water activities like kayaking/paddle boats/etc. or the ocean. They could also rent bikes/skates/to use the cement pathways in Mission Bay Park or along the "boardwalk"(cement path in front of the ocean)

The Pacific Terrace is across from the ocean and is a modern hotel with a pool.It doesn't have any grounds so I don't usually think of it as a "resort".

Paradise Point is very isolated in Mission Bay Park and a short bus ride to the ocean.It certainly would qualify as a "resort" with pretty grounds etc.

edmonton
reviews: 43
5. Re: Need resort help with teens

capri by the sea has suites so you guys would have some privacy. close to rentals and the kids could venture out on their own on the boardwalk. or there are lots of vacation rentals on mission beach if you are staying a week. catamaran is in a great location too. a little over priced for a basic hotel room but nice pool area.

Syracuse NY
6. Re: Need resort help with teens

Ok everybody thank you for the ideas. I will check out the catamaran and Capri by the sea. I will probably have more questions..thanks!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
7. Re: Need resort help with teens

I am a big fan of the Catamaran. It is a cheesy, kitschy Tiki hotel and I love it. Here is a Google Maps view of it. It would be a great place for teens. You can see where the beach (ocean) is from the hotel.

http://goo.gl/maps/DCdCJ

If you can swing the Pacific Terrace, it is great too.

http://goo.gl/maps/HUl0U

My third thought would be the Marriott Coronado.

http://goo.gl/maps/SSDWy

Coronado is a great place for teens. You can turn them loose and not worry.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
8. Re: Need resort help with teens

If you want an actual "resort" with organized activities for the teens I have no clue.

If you want a place on the beach where they can lay out, surf, boogie board, walk or run the boardwalk, walk to a burger place, swim in a pool, then I would choose the area around Pacific Beach. It is a beautiful beach.

I like Capri by the Sea for its facilities....full kitchen, living room, separate bedrooms, etc. and for the fact that you have a full view of the beach from every unit.

I raised some kids who were once teens. Having them on vacation in a hotel room, or even two hotel rooms, was not optimal.

FWIW

Edited: 11:59 pm, February 11, 2013
Syracuse NY
9. Re: Need resort help with teens

Ok I've been checking out all the helpful info provided.. Love the Catamaran but only showing availability with 2 double beds uugghh can't imagine that, and 2 rooms would be close to $700 per night. I agree with the person that said the hotel room idea gets old real quick especially when with teens. Like the Capri for its spaciousness but would prefer not to do a hi rise. checked out ocean park inn but no suites left just standard rooms. Starting to think I don't need actual resort due to all the action right at the beach which would keep kids happy. Somebody mentioned Coronado, where is this in relation to Pacific beach area? What kind of activities for teens in the immediate area? Thank you everyone!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
10. Re: Need resort help with teens

Pacific Beach is better for teens. Coronado is a quieter beach.

There are many hotels along Pacific Beach and you may also want to look at the Bahia which is the sister hotel to the Catamaran.

Not sure why you have a prob staying in a highrise condo at the beach but of course that is your privilege.

You might also look at the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge and the Surfer Beach Hotel(not fancy) and the Diamondhead Inn(not fancy) to see what suite you.

There are also tons of vacation rental houses and apts. in the area as it is the "hopping place" in summer!

Edited: 5:46 pm, February 12, 2013