We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona...
Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

My husband and I are planning a last minute trip to the San Diego area next weekend for our 10 year anniversary and are having a difficult time deciding where to stay. Since it is so last minute and the weekend after Valentine's Day, it seems as if all of the places we originally thought we would want to stay are booked. Our original plan was to stay in the Mission Beach area on the beach so that we could walk around to restaurants/beach/shops, but all nice places are unavailable. We are now leaning towards the Hilton San Diego Bayfront so that we can walk to the Gaslamp District and just drive to the beach. Any pros/cons for this hotel? Any other suggestions?

My husband and I are in our early 30's and we planned on renting beach cruisers one day to ride along the beach and stop in some bars, planned on doing some shopping, going out to some nice restaurants and bars at night. We are driving in from Phoenix, AZ on Friday and will be heading home on Monday. We hoped to spend no more than $200/night.

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
1. Re: Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

HI RachelM,

Welcome to the forums. Have you been to San Diego before this trip?

I don't know which"nice" hotels you have checked but I see plenty of availability at the beach.

The HIlton Bayfront is a VERY nice hotel(especially rooms with city/bay views) but you need to add on their parking charge(for all downtown hotels) which will be around $22 per night.

San Diego...
2. Re: Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

I think the Hilton Bayfront would be good location. A con would be if you got a room with a view of the shipping containers and shipyard rather than a room facing Coronado. Loads of places to go out to eat and for late night. You are next door to the Ferry that goes to Coronado. A good place to rent bikes to ride around. You can rent bikes at the Ferry Landing and /or in the Village near the beach and Hotel del Coronado.

You can also rent bikes in Downtown.

Don't know what you've checked out and what is booked up so hard to offer suggestions.

Edited: 1:16 pm, February 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona...
3. Re: Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly riff m!! We have both been to San Diego separately but never together. I went for a bachelorette party so we stayed in the gaslamp area and only went to the bars. My husband has been on a couple guys trips there and every time they have rented a large condo.

Any suggestions on good hotels on the beach? I'm not sure why I was finding everything booked!!

And thanks for bringing up the parking... I wasn't even thinking of that! $22/night is quite expensive if we are staying 3 nights.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
4. Re: Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

Soo not sure what your definition of "good" is but the Ocean Park Inn and the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge on Pacific Beach both have availability for that weekend. I looked on the hotel's own web site and not on any 3rd party sites.

Just so I am clear a "beach cruiser" is a bicycle yes??

You cannot ride on the sand but can ride on the cement path alongside the sand that we call a "boardwalk".

They are not 4**** hotels but are perfectly nice.

The Catamaran is too expensive and I didn't check the Bahia or other more resortlike hotels.

San Diego...
5. Re: Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

Im thinking the fact that its Presidents Day weekend, a 3 day weekend, probably is more the reason that hotels are full, than it being the weekend after Valentines Day.

Phoenix, Arizona...
6. Re: Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

Elizzie4000 - thanks for the suggestion of Coronado... neither my husband or I have ever been. I didn't realize the Hilton was so close to the Ferry so that is a definite plus.

Riff M - This is probably a really dumb question but is Pacific Beach really close to Mission Beach? Would we be able to walk from one to the other? Like I said, I have only been to San Diego once and we stayed downtown and went to bars. Not super familiar with the area. And yes, by beach cruiser I meant bicycle. And yes, I was intending to ride on the "boardwalk"... I just said beach because I was meaning I didn't want to rent one to ride around down town. Any suggestions on the parking if we did stay at the Hilton? Are there other places to park in the area? Also, do you know if there are shuttles that go from that area to Mission Beach area?

GoodBeer - good point... I didn't even realize it was a 3 day weekend next weekend. My husband and I don't have kids so not familiar with school schedules and neither of us have jobs that give us a 3 day weekend for Presidents Day. Definitely explains why it seems so full! Thanks!

San Diego...
7. Re: Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

<<This is probably a really dumb question but is Pacific Beach really close to Mission Beach? Would we be able to walk from one to the other?>>

If you are walking along the boardwalk you wont even know when you have left one and entered the other. One runs into the other.

<<<Any suggestions on the parking if we did stay at the Hilton? Are there other places to park in the area?>>> If you dont move your car there are lots downtown that are less expensive but they wont give you in/out privileges, so if you are going to use your car it probably makes the most sense to park at your hotel.

No shuttles to the beach, cabs or trolly/bus or drive yourself if you aren't drinking

Edited: 6:34 pm, February 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona...
8. Re: Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

It seems as if there are more hotel options in Pacific Beach than Mission Beach - does this sound correct? Or maybe I am just missing something. I actually just double checked the Catamaran Resort and it is now showing availability in our price range, deluxe room. Would this be a better option that the Hilton Bayfront? I know they are both in totally different locations...

And just to clarify, there are trolly/bus that take you to the beach or there are not? We would probably go to the beach one day and have a few drinks while there and would prefer not to have to drive. If we did drive, how difficult is it to find parking?

San Diego...
9. Re: Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

<<<It seems as if there are more hotel options in Pacific Beach than Mission Beach - does this sound correct?>>>

Yes, that is correct, but dont get hung up on Mission Beach vs Pacific Beach, if there wasnt a sign you wouldn't know one from the other. Just think of them as one.

You can get to Pacific/Mission Beach from downtown by taking the trolley to the Old Town Stop and taking a city bus from there. The closest beach to downtown is Coronado and you can take a bus or you can take the Ferry across the bay and then from there its about a mile and a half to the beach side, so you can either walk, taxi, rent bikes or jump on the bus.

As for The Hilton Bayfront vs The Catamaran, both are good choices, as you know two different locations, you will have to decide beach or downtown?

Edited: 7:11 pm, February 10, 2013
10. Re: Weekend Getaway Next Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:01 pm, February 10, 2013