We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help - again

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 29
Hotel help - again

Alright, I have finally booked the flight for the trip with my wife. Originally I was looking for the end of this month, but now we are going April 5-8. We need some help finding a hotel. Our budget is now under $150, including the price of parking (we will have a car) and preferably breakfast. My wife has also requested a place that has a king sized bed if possible.

So far I have found Best Western Plus Inn by the Sea in La Jolla and Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel and Marina (I don't believe this one includes breakfast). If we can save $$ on the hotel, we will have more $$ for activities. Staying close to the water would also be nice to go for a morning run. Would it be a bad idea to wait until closer to the trip to see if there are any deals on hotel rooms?

Our itinerary so far includes Torrey Pines, La Jolla Cove, Point Loma, Old Town, beach time, Coronado, and downtown.

Edited: 12:23 pm, February 09, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Hotel help - again

Have you looked at the Old Town Inn? Looks like it matchs up....

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d80255-R…

Denver, Colorado
2. Re: Hotel help - again

We have looked at the Old Town Inn. It would definitely meet the price needs, but the location is the thing that we are hesitant of. I have emailed the hotel asking if they are going to have another manager's special after the current one expires (2/14/13). If they had the same deal for the time frame we are going, that might just make up for not being in the best location. It also doesn't look like they have a workout facility, which we would want if we weren't near the beach to get a little exercise in to make up for eating a lot of good food!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 85
3. Re: Hotel help - again

Both the Best Western places you mention are fine to stay at. The BW Inn by the Sea though is really not as close as it appears in thier website photos to the ocean, ( you may want to look at google maps) but is a standard ok place to stay in La Jolla.

Both of these places are a little out of the way for general visiting of San Diego Imo, but as long as that doesnt bother you, then they would both be fine to stay at.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
4. Re: Hotel help - again

Driving in and out of La Jolla gets to be a drag. I'd go with the Shelter Island location. Much more central and faster freeway access.

San Diego...
5. Re: Hotel help - again

The Best West Island Palms on Shelter Island is a scenice and nice location. GREAT place for running right along the water. There are restaurants beginning within a 5 min walk and more up to 20 mins. The Bali Hai across the street (well up the street) is 5 mins and has a great view and nice Happy Hour.

The location is also easy to get around from with your car. Most sites are within a 10 - 25 min drive. Also, from that location you don't have to get on the freeway to get to La Jolla or Torrey Pines (unless you want to.) You can just drive the coastal route through Pacific Beach. Old Town is 10 mins away.

Edited: 4:19 pm, February 09, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
6. Re: Hotel help - again

I agree that all things considered, the BWP Island Palms is the best for what you want to do.

Denver, Colorado
7. Re: Hotel help - again

I think I am going to go wiht the BWP Island Palms. If we find a better deal somewhere else, we can always cancel this reservation. Any other recommendations in that price range?

Denver, Colorado
8. Re: Hotel help - again

I already booked the BWP Island Palms, but I just found a deal for the Catamaran for a little bit cheaper. Would it be a better location/property or would they be pretty similar?

San Diego...
9. Re: Hotel help - again

The Catamaran has more within walking distance of the hotel including the Beach and Bay. It also has nightlife within walking distance. It's much busier than Shelter Is which is a much more serene and slow relaxing place.

I think most people would say that if you want a lot within walking distance the Catamaran is a better location. Again, the beach is right there. More places to eat and nightlife.

Edited: 9:35 pm, February 10, 2013
Laval
reviews: 113
10. Re: Hotel help - again

I would go with the Catamaran.

I stayed at the BW Inn by the Sea in La Jolla. It is a standard hotel, don't expect luxury, it was fine, walking distance to the coves, we had to take the bus to go to the beach (we didn't have a car). Breakfast did the job. Room could be cleaner. Old bath towels. Comfortable beds. Many restaurants, grocery stores, shopping.