We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help pick hotel

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
29 reviews
Help pick hotel

I have narrowed down our search of hotels to a handful. I was originally thinking the La Quinta Mission bay, but I have also considered the Hampton Inn SeaWorld/Airport location, La Quinta Old Town, Pacific Shores Inn, and Holiday Inn Express SeaWorld. These are the best rated hotels I could find in our price range, and they include breakfast. Are any of these in a significantly better location? We are planning on being in various parts of San Diego (Torrey Pines, La Jolla, Coronado, downtown, etc). We will have a car, and it will just be my wife and I.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
49,074 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Help pick hotel

HI there,

The Pacific Shores Inn is located way at the northern end of Pacific Beach. I have not stayed there but it is a nice location in walking distance to the ocean and to good restaurants! It will be a short drive on city streets north to La Jolla and a little farther to Torrey Pines. Coronado and downtown will be about a 15-20min. drive.

The La Quinta Old Town is also a good location. It is easy on /off the freeway near Old Town State Park and walking distance to restaurants and little shops.

It is quite centrally located and would be a short(10min. or less) drive to downtown , maybe 15min. to Coronado and then 15min. north to La Jolla.

I'd pick either one over your original choice!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
18,306 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Help pick hotel

I'd go with Pacific Beach for the area / beach / restaurants. 2nd would be Old Town.

I don't like the location of the Hampton Inn Seaworld it's surrounded by warehouses and stip clubs. The HI Express is also in a unscenic area but at least there are places to eat. The La Quinta MB is also in an unscenic area with a few fast food places close by.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
40,110 posts
390 reviews
3. Re: Help pick hotel

A better question is what is your budget per night? I wouldn't believe the ratings here on TA as many hotels, restaurants etc actively seek positive reviews from people.

I wouldn't pick any of those places probably. Since you have a car I'd be more inclined to choose Little Italy, Hotel Circle or Old Town.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
49,074 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Help pick hotel

I would urge you to read hotel reviews but do not use the popularity rating numbers as a guide on where to stay! Popularity doesn't mean they are necessarily the best for your needs!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
18,306 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Help pick hotel

I agree with Riff - go by the reviews NOT the ratings.

And, yes, if you tell us your budget we might be able to help, Scott mentioned Little Italy where there is a hotel that is usually $100 / night, La Pensione.

I'd even take the Motel 6 downtown above some of the ones you've mentioned.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Help pick hotel

The hotels I listed had three things in common: free breakfast, free parking, and they were around $100/night. They were also a little cheaper than that because they were part of a flight/hotel package. If we have to pay for parking and breakfast, then the budget would probably go down. I really wish we could stay somewhere nicer, but it's not in this trips budget. Thanks so much for all the input. It's very helpful.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
19,994 posts
84 reviews
7. Re: Help pick hotel

Can you tell us when you are visiting? as prices for Hotels vary quite widely depending on the seasons.

Edited: 10:23 pm, February 02, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Help pick hotel

We will be there the end of this month and beginning of March. Also, I just realized that the La Quinta in Old Town does have a small fee for parking. I hadn't seen that before. I am really open to anything, but unfortunately it looks like my options are limited given our budget.

Edited: 10:37 pm, February 02, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
19,994 posts
84 reviews
9. Re: Help pick hotel

You might try something like the LaAvenida Inn which is a standard but very well rated Motel, ressonably priced on Coronado Island in walking distance to the Ocean, and small shops and restaurants. Free parking

It should be around $110 for part of your visit and $121 for March if you have some form of AAA. No free full breakfast, but do offer "fresh pastries, coffees, teas & hot chocolate."

Coronado is a wonderful area to stay in, a nice small beach town type of feel in Coronado.

http://laavenidainn.com/

If you want to be in Old Town, you should find the Old Town Inn affordable in your price range, and well rated, with free breakfast. Make sure to look at the Managers special as well. I think they also offer free parking.

oldtown-inn.com/html/san-diego-discounts-pkg…

Edited: 10:55 pm, February 02, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
40,110 posts
390 reviews
10. Re: Help pick hotel

Is the La Quinta Old Town not an option? Hampton Inn Downtown? Both are better locations than the others you have looked at. Even the Pacific Inn in Downtown/Little Italy is better in terms of location.

I'd also see what packages are available for hotels on Hotel Circle, King's Inn, Days Hotel, BW Seven Seas, Travelodge, the Vagabond Inn (same people who own the Pacific Inn), Howard Johnson's Hotel Circle, Comfort Inn Hotel Circle and Extended Stay America Hotel Circle. They are probably all in the $70 range, I think all have free parking, some have included breakfasts.

Hotel Circle is a bit nicer than the other spots you have mentioned.