We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

Hey - I am planning on heading out to San Diego with my gf in June and it will be the first out there for the both of us and was considering staying in La Jolla as we are both beach people but at the same time would like to see the rest of San Diego as well. So my question is would it make more sense to stay downtown San Diego which has more in terms of bars/restaurants (we are both mid 20s) and drive up to La Jolla/other beach locations.

Also, any hotel recommendations in the Gaslamp area would be much appreciated. I was looking into the Westin but the $36 parking fee/day is less than ideal.

Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
1. Re: La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

All the downtown hotels will charge for parking just like in NYC!

For a couple in their mid 20s we would usually suggest Pacific Beach as the place to hang out if you are not staying in downtown.

PB is a neighborhood of the city of San Diego just like La Jolla.

There are many beaches to visit here!!

La Jolla is just north of PB so you can easily visit both/all during your stay.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
2. Re: La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

I agree with Riff M that Pacific Beach would be a good place for couples in their mid-20s. It has more nightlife activity than La Jolla, which tends to be staid. However, if you are looking for a lot more nightlife, the Gaslamp District downtown is still the place to go.

new york
3. Re: La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

Yeah unfortunately I'm from the NYC area so I'm used to outrageous prices/fees for everything but was hoping to escape it.

In regards to PB, would you say all of the area restaurants/bars are within walking distance of the hotel? I plan on renting on a car but would obviously like to walk around as much as possible.

Thanks again

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
4. Re: La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

Yes the Pacific Beach area, near the ocean, has plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance.

http://www.pacificbeach.org/

new york
5. Re: La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

Thanks for the info guys, any recommendations on specific hotels within Pacific Beach?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
6. Re: La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

Depending on your price range:

Pacific Terrace(high end) perhaps Tower 23 but is doesn't have a pool.

Then Ocean Park Inn and BW Blue Sea Lodge.

Let us know if you need lower priced alternatives. We don't really know your budget???

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
7. Re: La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

What is your budget for the Hotel room?

Pacific Terrace and Tower23 are nice but on the high end

The Catamaran is in the area, and while not right on the beach, it is on the water and within walking distance to the Beach ans the main PB area. Nice, but a step down from the other two.

new york
8. Re: La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

I'd probably like to keep it no more than 250 per night, I'd say I'm looking for something mid tier that is clean and good location. Don't plan on spending too much time in the room, so the location is probably the most important factor.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
9. Re: La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

Check out the Catamaran then...

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d79971-R…

austin
reviews: 16
10. Re: La Jolla vs Downtown SD Hotel Recommendation

we stayed at the Westin Gaslamp and it was great. We also stayed at a Sheraton in La Jolla and it was also great - kind of "old school" but nice