We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 13
Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

Hi,

I will be in LA for a few days in late Feb. I'm planning to go on a daytour to San Diego, since it's the closest city to LA. Is it worth it to travel there just for a day? I'm looking for something from early morning and back to LA by late evening/night.

Can anyone give any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

edmonton
reviews: 45
1. Re: Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

i love san diego but i wouldn't go for just a day.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

San Diego is a large city with a lot to see/do so you'll really need to decide what you'd like to do in that short amount of time.

It is not clear to me if you are looking for a tour or if you wish to go yourself , perhaps by train. The train ride itself is 3hrs. from city center to city center.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

I'm a Los Angeles resident and I would not advise a daytrip to San Diego unless you wake up and leave at around 5 a.m. and stay in SD until around 9 p.m. (making for a very long day). The traffic and distance between SD and LA is such that you will be in the car for the majority of your day, and you won't have time to do very much in SD. You're better off skipping the hassle and spending that day in LA. If you nonetheless make a go for it, I recommend the zoo since it is one of the best in the country, and something that you can't see in LA.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
4. Re: Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

<<<I'm planning to go on a daytour to San Diego, since it's the closest city to LA.>>>

How about a side trip to Santa Barbara? You will still have to deal with the L.A. traffic, but it is actually closer than San Diego. You could drive along the Malibu coast. Santa Barbara is a lovely town and well worth checking out.

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I shall re-plan the visit then. Maybe spend a night at SD instead, before coming back to LA. But I will also check out Santa Barbara.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
6. Re: Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

I think San Diego is worth at least one night. As a day trip from LA it can be tiring since you're looking at 4 1/2 hours round trip transit, at a bare minimum, all on that day. You can take the train, but it takes 3 hours each way and that leaves you with no car once you get to San Diego.

San Diego...
7. Re: Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

I think Santa Barbara would make for a good side trip from LA.

8. Re: Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:41 am, May 26, 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
9. Re: Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

I have personally visited both many times for business and pleasure. There is some nice parts of LA but honestly nothing beats the laid back atmosphere and beaches of San Diego (especially the north county towns of Encinitas, Carlsbad, Cardiff, Leucadia). It's worth the drive for sure. I was just in San Diego in November and tried Stand Up Paddle Boarding for the first time. I was with my family and we did the typical San Diego Zoo and Sea world and was talking to a bartender in North County about surf lessons. He gave me the card of a couple guys that teach Stand Up Paddle Boarding (SUP). I've always wanted to surf but wanted something the whole family could do. Ended up booking a family lesson with a company in Carlsbad called 2 Stand Up Guys. Such an awesome experience, we all stayed dry and my kids are hooked on it we had to buy a couple of boards for Christmas when we got back to Flagstaff. I would highly recommend this company if you want a new adventure, Matt and Ryan are awesome instructors. Tell them Paul from Flagstaff says THANK YOU for introducing his family to such an awesome sport. Look them up, or check their website www.2standupguys.com. Good Luck!

Singapore, Singapore
10. Re: Day trip/tour from LA to San Diego

Thanks again guys, for all the suggestions! Paul, Stand up paddle boarding sounds interesting too. I will check it out.

What's the best (and most economical!) way to get to San Diego downtown from Anaheim area?

Thanks again!