We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Question for family of 6!

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Itinerary Question for family of 6!

We are taking our 5, 8, 12 & 14 kids to San Diego and staying at the Grand Del Mar. One afternoon some of us will be doing some riding and some will be playing tennis. We also want to do a whale watching tour, the Safari Park, bike around Coronado Island, and Balboa Park - Dad wants to see the maritime museum and hopefully it will hold everyone's interest a bit. The Zoo is a definite maybe and we have thought about Sea World but we do go to the Aquarium in Chicago frequently. We have have 4 whole days and no time we want to be in LA - in fact the less time there the better I think. I'm just wondering the best way to organize our schedule and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts... Thanks so much for the help!

Roseville...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Itinerary Question for family of 6!

when?

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Itinerary Question for family of 6!

Oops - had that in there initially - December 29-January 4th is the trip. We fly out of LA - it was way cheaper that way - so I'm thinking we will drive there on the 2nd (hopefully taking the scenic route) and spend the 3rd at Universal Studios... Thanks!

edmonton
reviews: 43
3. Re: Itinerary Question for family of 6!

i'm exhausted just looking at all the things you are trying to do in such a short time.

Williamston...
reviews: 79
4. Re: Itinerary Question for family of 6!

I've been planning a trip there, too, so this is fresh in my mind. I would do a whale watching tour one morning (they last about 4 hours) and then when I got back, I'd do the maritime museum since they'll be in the general vicinity of each other. The zoo and Balboa Park could be done together since they're next to each other. Although if you spend a long day at the zoo, you wouldn't have much time to visit the musuems in Balboa Park, but I didn't find many of them that compelling, anyway. The Safari Park could be done on a third day. I think you should be out on time for some riding and tennis afterwards. Sea World could be done on another day. I don't think biking around Coronado will take a huge amount of time, so just squeeze that in on one of your 4 days.

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Itinerary Question for family of 6!

Thanks - that's exactly the kind of putting-things together I was feeling incapable of doing! I appreciate your comment lttt but I don't really feel like we are trying to put to much in. I am not an-overscheduler. On the other hand, with 4 kids if I don't keep them busy they tend to fight. Well... they fight anyway but they fight more with nothing to do. And we are on vacation to take advantage of the locale. If the kids seem tired we can simply skip something! But I think it helps to have an idea of what works best together.

SoCal
reviews: 7
6. Re: Itinerary Question for family of 6!

I would include Seaworld. I have been to the Shedd and it is nothing like Seaworld. Your kids will love Seaworld. It is a full day.

7. Re: Itinerary Question for family of 6!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:23 am, May 29, 2013
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
8. Re: Itinerary Question for family of 6!

Why dont you come up with a straw itinerary and fill in the days you want to do things. Sea world and Shedd are not the same. but you may have too much to do given all the things you are planning. The locals can tell you what is open on Jan 1 so you may have to rearrange things. The USS Midway is a great place. I would do the extra rides for extra $$$ at the Wild Animal Park and skip the zoo The Museums around Balboa park are not as great as the ones in Chicago so I would skip them. I don't know if 4 kids like to do a tour. Ours will get bored or fall asleep

With 4 days and so much to do, you won't get much time to relax at the Grand which is a great place. If the kids fight push them into the pool LOL

Edited: 9:37 pm, December 11, 2012
9. Re: Itinerary Question for family of 6!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, December 17, 2013