We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Karratha
Accomodation

My family and I are travelling to USA in April 2013 and not sure where to stay in San Diego for 4 nights. Want to visit Legoland, San Diego Zoo, sea World and visit the Mexican boarder.

Can anyone recmomend a good place to stay

Menifee, California
reviews: 31
1. Re: Accomodation

What is your budget per night and will you have a car?

Karratha
2. Re: Accomodation

Budget around $100-200 per night, no we won't have a car, happy to use public transport

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
3. Re: Accomodation

I would look at the Old Town San Diego area, great access for Public Transit, and the Old Town State Park area is great for kids.

Maybe the Fairfield Inn Old Town.

www.oldtownsandiego.org

marriott.com/hotels/…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d272662-…

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
4. Re: Accomodation

I should also comment, LEGOLAND is in the city of Carlsbad (Northern San Diego County). There is a combination of a train and a bus, but only works on weekdays, and you have to be very careful with the timing, so you don't miss the last bus/train of the day.

www.gonctd.com/images/breeze_bus/446/446.pdf

www.sdcommute.com

It is easy to get to SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo from the area, and you can take the San Diego Trolley to the Southern Border, but I wouldn't recommend actually crossing it. (There is a very nice Outlet Center, Las Americas, right at the border.)

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

Edited: 7:56 am, November 20, 2012
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
5. Re: Accomodation

I'd ask how many people and what ages? Old Town might work, but there are also good spots in Little Italy and Downtown.

Legoland is the hardest one to get to on public transit and even harder to get back from.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
6. Re: Accomodation

Hi,

I wonder if you mean that you want to visit Mexico as you cannot "visit" the border???

As mentioned, Legoland is located about 40min. by car north of the city of San Diego. It is harder to reach than the other sights you mentioned.

In addition you may not realize that there are many other things to see/do besides the theme/animal parks you have listed.

Let us know who (ages) is in your travel group and we may have other suggestions.

The hotels downtown or in our OldTown neighborhood will be the easiest to use if you need our public transit system which does not have equal access in all areas of our spread out city!

Karratha
7. Re: Accomodation

Thanks for all your information.

There are 3 of us traveling. 35-40 parents and 10 year of daughter. She is obsessed with Lego, hence the emphasis on Legoland.

If you could let me know what other things there are to do in San other than the theme parks that would be great. We're not sure exactly what we want to do or see there just yet, just know I have no idea where to stay.

edmonton
reviews: 43
8. Re: Accomodation

4 nights is not very long. one full day will be spent at legoland. i'd highly recommend renting a car for that day or find a tour comapny that would take you there. using public transport will be a pain.

there is a trolley tour that you could take of san diego. you can jump off and on the bus at various spots.

i love sea world but it is expensive.

then, be sure to leave at least one day free just to explore. roller blading, biking or walking the board walk at pacific/mission beach is nice. could take the ferry over to coronado just for aboat ride. whale watching if you want to get out on the ocean.

without a car, staying in old town, little italy or downtown is your best bet. be careful though...some hotels are very close to freeway 5 and can be noisy.

edmonton
reviews: 43
9. Re: Accomodation

sorry, meant to say, skip the border/mexico.

San Diego...
10. Re: Accomodation

The best places areas to stay without a car and using public transportation are Downtown SD, Little Italy and Old Town. These places are well served by public transportation to places like the Zoo / Balboa Park, SeaWorld, the bay, Coronado.

Legoland is a different story. I believe I've read that there are tours that will take you there. You can get there by a combination of the train to Carlsbad and then a bus or taxi to Legoland.

For only four days and without a car I would skip the border. Nothing much to see and you have so little time in San Diego as it is.

Your daughter might life the Children's Museum

http://www.thinkplaycreate.org/

There are activities at Balboa Park

balboapark.org/sites/default/files/balboapar…

Since you won't have a car you might want to consider the Old Town Trolley Tour. The tour takes you to several different neighborhoods and it's a hop on hop off. So you can visit different areas and get out and walk around and then catch a later trolley to move on.

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

If you want to go to Coronado and don't do the tour you can get there by a couple of ways which are very easy. The ferry, the 992 bus and/or a combination of both.

www.coronadovisitorcenter.com/CVC/index.html

coronadovisitorcenter.com/CVC/Transportation…

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-bay-ferry.html

On our bay / marina

http://www.thebigbay.com/

http://www.sdmaritime.org/

http://www.seaportvillage.com/

You can also do a one hour harbor tour. I recommend the North tour which is very scenic and you see seals, sea lions on docks as well.

We have many physical activites to do here if you're interested in them. Biking, hiking, kayaking, jet skiing, segway tours, etc.

Edited: 12:59 am, November 21, 2012