We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zoo or Safari Park?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
alabama
reviews: 18
Zoo or Safari Park?

We can only do one and have never to either of them. Which one should we choose?

Thanks!!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Zoo or Safari Park?

Based on what criteria ? And who is we ? Are there kids? What is your experience with zoos and the like in the US ? Have you been on a Safari before ?

If you are adults and have not been on a Safari and want to experience one, then the Safari Park would be better but only if you go on the inside the enclosure rides for an extra cost. If not, the zoo would be better

A car is needed to go to the Safari Park which is North East of San Diego

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: Zoo or Safari Park?

I agree that the safari park is best enjoyed when you add in one of the extra price safari tours. You can only reach it easily if you have a car. For families with young children I think the zoo is better. It is close to downtown and located inside Balboa Park which is also a place to visit.

There is a children's zoo area with animals to pet and the animals will be closer to you than at the Safari Park(unless you do an inside the enclosure extra safari)

alabama
reviews: 18
3. Re: Zoo or Safari Park?

Sorry.... I should have been more specific it will actually be two adults no children and we will have a car. And our local zoo in Birmingham, Alabama isn't that great and would definitely add one of the tours at the safari park if we went that route.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
4. Re: Zoo or Safari Park?

I spend a lovely morning at the Safari Park with a friend of mine from Maryland. We did the Caravan Safari into the enclosures where we fed a giraffes and rhinos. It was great(but pricey)

She also spent a whole day at the zoo soooo lots of possibilities!!

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 28
5. Re: Zoo or Safari Park?

We took our 6-year-old to the zoo last summer and enjoyed it more than he did, I think. It's just fantastic. As a resident of Birmingham, I know where you're coming from on the local zoo here. :-) It's nice to see a world-class facility in comparison.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 225
6. Re: Zoo or Safari Park?

can we purchase a combo pass online for both, making it cheaper to see both?

7. Re: Zoo or Safari Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:05 am, May 25, 2013
Auckland Region...
reviews: 225
8. Re: Zoo or Safari Park?

which addon do u recommend?

San Clemente...
reviews: 32
9. Re: Zoo or Safari Park?

Depends on whether you're short on time. The safari park does feel nicer, but it is less practical for out-of-state/overseas visitors since it is farther out. It will take more of your time. Also, it's harder to find great restaurants nearby. If you visit the safari park during the hotter months, sometimes the animals will hide in some corner far away from humans. It will help if you visit early in the day before it gets hot. When I visited the safari park, the pricey add-ons will only let you feed a giraffe and a rhino. The 2 add-ons were around $190 per person. I forgot how much exactly. With a group, it adds up fast. I didn't feel that it was worth the $, though it's a nice cause to support. You could just choose to feed only a rhino (or a giraffe) and pay a bit less.

Edited: 2:38 am, February 13, 2013
10. Re: Zoo or Safari Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 15, 2014