We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

I plan on taking 2 kids (both under 10) to San Diego first week of January. We will not be driving. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on a hotel that is near both SeaWorld and San Deigo Zoo.

We plan on going to Legoland too for 2 days. We wish to stick with 1 hotel for our entire weeklong trip. Are there shuttle buses that would take us from our hotel near SeaWorld to Legoland?

Thanks to all who reply.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

I like the Fairfield Inn Old Town, great location, and they will offer free shuttles from the Airport, Train Station, the San Diego Zoo and SeaWorld. I also like the location (Old Town). Here is a link (The current name of the Hotel is Mission Inn, but it changes on New Years Day). Make sure and check out the specials on the website.

http://www.hioldtownhotel.com/

As for the LEGOLAND Resort, there is a private Tour Company that will take you there on a per day basis.

…coachamerica.com/sandiegograyline/tours_att…

LEGOLAND is in Carlsbad, a good 30 minutes to an hour drive away from the main part of San Diego. If you time it right, you could use the Coaster Train Service from Old Town to Carlsbad, and then just take a cab to LEGOLAND.

http://www.gonctd.com/coaster

gonctd.com/schedules/coaster_schedule_2012.h…

Note, the last train back to San Diego leaves prior to park closing.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
2. Re: Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

Depending on weather and interests you may find that one day at Legoland is enough in January. IF you really are sure you want 2 days there then you may want to stay closer in a Carlsbad hotel for that portion of your trip.

Otherwise staying in San Diego closer to other activities like Sea World, the ships at the waterfront, Balboa Park etc is a good idea.

The suggestion that you've been given above is a good one. The area of Old Town has restaurants in walking distance and is a hub for our public transportation system.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
3. Re: Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

I know you don't want to move but the only thing near Legoland is the town of Carlsbad. Everything else is 30 minimum w/o traffic to the get to. It would not be easy or quick with 2 kids on public transportation.

Maybe it would be a good idea to move.

And if you do stay in SD you need to make sure to get a hotel close to a bus stop at minimum and walking distance to the light rail Trolley. And you could possibly do the tour that Darkbeer gave you the link to

Edited: 8:33 pm, December 14, 2011
vancouver
reviews: 25
4. Re: Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

I would not recommend staying at that hotel until the reno's are done. Read the recent reviews for Mission Inn Old Town. If they are finished, great.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
5. Re: Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

All the renovations of the Mission Inn are done, and will be renamed the Fairfield Inn Old Town on the first of the year.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
6. Re: Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

Here is a link to the new "Fairfield Inn Old Town" website.

marriott.com/hotels/…

vancouver
reviews: 25
7. Re: Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

Good to hear. Still need a place for our last day so that is definitely one to consider. Ty.

vancouver
8. Re: Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

Hi, thanks very much for your input. it's very informative. If you don't mind me asking, would it be Carlsbald Village station we should be getting off of to go to Legoland? (rather than Carlsbald Poinsettia);

Is it possible to take a bus from the station to Legoland rather than taxi? if not, are taxis readily available at the station?

sny recommended hotels that are near both the Coaster train and the trolley?

Thanks

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
9. Re: Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

Yes, on weekdays, you can take the Coaster Train from San Diego to the Carlsbad Poinsettia Station, and then take Route 446 Bus to LEGOLAND. You catch the 7:53 AM Train from the Old Town Station.

gonctd.com/schedules/coaster_schedule_2012.h…

www.gonctd.com/userfiles/file/446Guide.pdf

And as mentioned above, the Fairfield Inn/Mission Inn Old Town is near the Old Town Transportation Center, which services the San Diego Trolley, the Coaster Commuter train, selected Amtrak trains, and many bus routes.

As for taxis, it is best to have a phone number and a mobile phone, as taxis aren't usually available, unless it is a major destination, such as the airport.

vancouver
10. Re: Hotels near SeaWorld and transportation to Legoland

Hi Darkbeer, i was looking at the Coaster Station website and see that from Carlsbald Village Station, you can go to Legoland by taking the BREEZE bus 321 and get off at the main Legoland bus stop. Just wondering if there's any difference between this option and the option you suggested ie: getting off the Poinsetta station. ie: will 1 option take me to Legoland faster or allow a shorter walking distance to Legoland after getting off the bus (nice to know with 2 little kids).

Also, if you don't mind providing me with your input once again: if we happen to miss the Coaster Commuter Train (they only have limited runs in the morning and afternoons), can we still get to Legoland and back by public bus? If so, which bus should we take? I will be staying at a hotel in Old Town by Jefferson street and Conde, which is around 2 blocks from the Coaster station as I understand...thanks again.