We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to Do In San Diego for 8 Nights in Dec/Jan?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
reviews: 10
Things to Do In San Diego for 8 Nights in Dec/Jan?

Hi,

We're regular visitors to US cities and we are considering coming to San Diego for an 8 night trip during our Christmas vacation. We are in our late 30's and enjoy a vibrant city with bars and restaurants. In the last couple of years we've spent our Christmas/New Years in Vegas, New York and San Francisco. We're thinking of staying near the Gaslight quarter (it looks pretty packed with eats/drinks)..

Question is is there enough in San Diego touristy-wise to keep us occupied for 8 days? I can imagine us going to maybe the Zoo, Seaworld and a day trip to Mexico. Other days may be long lunches, etc. We would be staying over new year, are there any specific celebrations?

Many thanks for any tips you can give,

Andy, UK

San Francisco...
reviews: 38
1. Re: Things to Do In San Diego for 8 Nights in Dec/Jan?

There are a lot of nice beach towns along the coast that you could visit: Coronado, La Jolla, Del Mar, Solana Beach, etc.

You are not guaranteed beach weather at that time of the year, though compared to the UK, it should feel downright balmy.

You might also consider an overnight in Mexico, I like the Las Rocas Resort just past Rosarito.

http://www.lasrocas.com/

Oxford, United...
2. Re: Things to Do In San Diego for 8 Nights in Dec/Jan?

Yep, the 49 to 66 degree averages will certainly be better than the 34 to 45 we get at home. We're not ones for sitting on the beach anyway but visiting the towns would be nice. Thanks.

San Francisco...
reviews: 38
3. Re: Things to Do In San Diego for 8 Nights in Dec/Jan?

Also be prepared for some days that could even be warmer. San Diego can surprise you at times- you could get lucky with a particularly balmy (almost beach weather) day.

San Diego, CA
reviews: 17
4. Re: Things to Do In San Diego for 8 Nights in Dec/Jan?

I would also recommend that you travel down to Mexico. The Las Rocas is very nice! Only problem for you is that you will have to take a bus service down there. You can not bring rental cars into Mexico.

However, if you cannot stay overnight, try to take a day tour down to Mexico.

Based on your age and the things you like to do, you should absolutely stay in the Gaslamp area.

San Diego, CA
reviews: 19
5. Re: Things to Do In San Diego for 8 Nights in Dec/Jan?

Here's some information as to things to do here in San Diego

http://gothere.com/sandiego.htm

I think you'll find plenty to keep you busy, and the Gaslamp sounds like the perfect area for you!

Oxford, United...
6. Re: Things to Do In San Diego for 8 Nights in Dec/Jan?

I'm glad we picked a good location. Sounds like there'll be plenty to keep us occupied. Thanks for all your help.

Andy