We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
Which beach?

I am so impressed by all the information you folks in San Diego and surrounds provide to all of us coming to your city! Thanks for your efforts - I know it takes time 'cause I try to help with the places I know well. I am packing up the grandson for a trip to the zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World and Legoland in October - coming from Alaska, we'll fry anytime before that! We'll likely fly into LAX (great fare - about half that of SAN), rent a car (doing that anyway) and drive down. Have about decided to rent a condo on the beach rather than go the hotel route - he's a bit young to do all his meals in restaurants and he'll need some down days so being on the beach would be really good for quiet days. Am also considering the suites at the Pacific Terrace Hotel but they are very pricey by comparison to a nice condo. The condo choices are at the Imperial Beach Club, several on Mission Beach and one on the Silver Strand near the Coronado Cays (?). I don't want to cross any roads to get to the beach and I am wary of being in an area where I need to worry about walking or driving at night, etc. 'cause of the young one. I am also considering a couple of the other beach hotels with kitchenettes but they seem a bit far away. Don't mind going $200 a night and a bit more for the right place. Any advice will be appreciated. Many thanks. Lee

San Diego, CA
reviews: 19
11. Re: Which beach?

More boats than ships, but I think he'll enjoy it - I do when I go down there. Thank you for the compliment - that's very nice. I moved here in 1987 from Montana, and fell in love with the place, and just want other people to appreciate the city as I do. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Brighton, United...
reviews: 37
12. Re: Which beach?

I agree, Chissis gives some great advice about her area here. I need to pick her brains about La Jolla :o) I usually post advice/info in the London and Paris forums but have been in the San Diego & San Francisco forums planning this trip this past week.

Kileysmom: We arrive home from our trip May 23rd and head off to Paris on the 27th May - but I will post some feed back on Pacific Terrace for you before I disappear.

They took 25% off the rate for my two weekday nights and 10% for the Friday night with the AAA discount if that helps? I have an Executive Suite as - from morning to evening - a lot of the available rooms suddenly started booking-up for my dates. I was actually wanting a Ocean View Jnr Suite.

Did you have a look at the vacation rental site I posted? They have lots of choice too. Also found some Pacific Beach options at vrbo

http://vacation_rentals.19elgoog.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/california/san-diego-county/g#2272

There's a Trader Joe's on Garnet not far from Pacific Terrace (or any place around there) which is great for me - I love Trader Joe's when I'm in the USA. Also a Ralph's at what I would call the southern end of Mission Blvd. I've always gone for some kind of self-catering option since I started travelling with children, and the extra space is also a bonus. If the little one's fall asleep you can at least sit and watch TV, relax and enjoy a glass of wine as travelling with younger ones means you won't be out much past early evening generally.

You're thinking correctly to plan some quieter days with your grandson, he'll enjoy those days as much as 'big' days out. To be honest I think little people enjoy having time with someone who will listen to, talk and play with them as much as anything else.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
13. Re: Which beach?

Hi, ebabe69, I would appreciate your thoughts on the Pacific Terrace and San Diego with kids. I've almost decided I'll take a house on South Mission Beach but would still like to try the Pacific Terrace even if not this trip. I lived in the UK for a number of years and in Brussels for quite a few years. I am waiting a few years before getting the grandson hooked on the UK and Europe - I return every year skiing a week in Zermatt and then travelling to see friends and places and eat in favourite restaurants! I look forward to hearing from you when you have a chance - enjoy your trip(s)! Lee

Berkshire County...
14. Re: Which beach?

I, too, will be a visitor to Mission Beach in October...along with my 5 girlfriends. We get together once a year and have decided on Mission Beach, Ca. There are a few locations that we can choose from for our accomodations: the southernmost tip of the peninsula, the ocean beach/side further north, and the bayside. We are really looking to have close proximity to the beach and beautiful views. We'd like to stay where we're not too far from "activity", and within a trolley-ride or short car ride to the local attractions - Sea World, the Zoo, etc.

What would your advice be as far as where in the area to stay? Further north? south? ocean-side? bay-side? Also, someone told me that the Grand Avenue area is the best for nice restaurants/bars. Would you agree? Thanks for your help!

Debby