We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Topeka

Which Topeka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corydon, Iowa
reviews: 107
Hotels in Topeka

My husband and I are planning to stay in Topeka for a couple of days so I'm looking for a hotel. I was looking at places close to downtown because that's where most of what we want to see is. I'm a little weirded out because when checking out reviews -- on this and other sites -- of even the nicer hotels, there are always one or two reviewers who complain about not feeling safe or how scary some of the surrounding neighborhoods are. So I was wondering if there are better areas of Topeka to stay in, areas to avoid, or if all of this is just a few overly sensitive people confusing older with unsafe. Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 100
1. Re: Hotels in Topeka

I've stayed at the downtown Ramada and been there for other funtcions. I did not feel unsafe.

Kansas
reviews: 116
2. Re: Hotels in Topeka

I think it depends on whether you will be walking or driving, and what time of day you are doing it. Topeka has gotten a little dicey by Kansas standards, but is not more so than an "big city" downtown areas.

During the day and evening, I don't feel unsafe walking from the Ramada into Downtown --- but after dark, I can't really say the same, unless I am with a group. (note: if you stay there, I have found the rooms in the tower are newer, and better, while the rooms in the original part are, despite remodeling attempts, still like a 1960's Ramada Inn.)

The Capitol Plaza is just south of downtown, and is a very nice and newer hotel --- a John Q. Hammonds property, I think. It is adjacent to the ExpoCentre and convention space, but also in a dicier neighborhood --- the Quik Shop across the street gets robbed frequently --- but I have always felt safe in the parking lot, hotel and ExpoCentre area; that said, I would not, even in the daytime, walk from the Capitol Plaza to Downtown. I just wouldn't, and I used to live about a mile from it.

So, if I was a day and evening walker, I'd stay in the tower at the Ramada; and if I was a driver, I'd stay at Capitol Plaza.

btw ... Topeka, like other places, also has a little "smash and grab" problem in many of its hotel parking lots, seemingly most often out west, along the Wanamaker corridor. So don't leave much of anything in plain sight in your car at night.

Corydon, Iowa
3. Re: Hotels in Topeka

Thanks, guys, that was very helpful! I think I may give the Ramada a try.

Topeka, Kansas
reviews: 56
4. Re: Hotels in Topeka

Oh dear...I haven't been on TA much lately so just seeing your post. I think the Ramada is ok if you are wanting to stay in the downtown area and think the security is good, but we do have a problem with crime although the City keeps trying to address the situation. Actually (and no better part of Topeka) the hotel at the Expo Center is one of the nicest here. The Senate Suites are just west of 9th and Topeka Blvd so kind of sits between the two mentioned has been renovated and is ok for an older property...some Legislators stay there during the Session.

Other than those properties, pretty much all the nicer hotels are out to the west side of the city near Wanamaker Rd.

If you've already made your trip here, I am curious to know what your thoughts are about the Ramada :)

Corydon, Iowa
5. Re: Hotels in Topeka

Sorry it took so long to reply, but we had to postpone our trip for a few weeks. My husband and I stayed at the downtown Ramada one night last week. I took NotDave's advice and requested a room in the tower. Our room was clean and comfortable, and had plenty of space. The elevators were small and a bit slow, but we never had to wait more than a minute. We were told there were only 300 guests in the hotel that night, so I can imagine if there were more the waiting time for an elevator could be longer. Breakfast was good, and items were refilled promptly. There are a couple of little museums in the hotel that are free and interesting if you have the time. The public areas are very attractive. We felt safe in the parking lot, but we didn't go anywhere else because we were getting freezing rain so we stayed in. The staff were friendly and helpful. The wifi worked. Overall it was a good experience and I would recommend the Ramada to anyone wanting to stay in downtown Topeka. One tip I would give is to book through the Ramada website rather than directly through the hotel; we got a better price that way. Thank you everyone for your input. It was very helpful.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 100
6. Re: Hotels in Topeka

Thank you so much for the report!

Topeka, Kansas
reviews: 56
7. Re: Hotels in Topeka

Thank you for the follow-up report. I was actually in FL with our daughter and missed that nasty weather, but it's been cold ever since I returned...ready to go back to FL! LOL

Reply to: Hotels in Topeka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Topeka