We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Louis to Salt Lake City in 5 1/2 days

Which Topeka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia
reviews: 9
St Louis to Salt Lake City in 5 1/2 days

Hi, we have a group of hot rods that will travelling from St Louis to Salt Lake City in early August, going to Bonneville Speed Week, and wondered what was the most scenic route to take. We want to go through Grand Junction and have 2 options, along the I70 or Highway 54 and 50. Any suggestions of routes and things to do along the way would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 102
1. Re: St Louis to Salt Lake City in 5 1/2 days

From Kansas City, take I-35 down to Emporia, then 50 west. Neat stops on the first half of the route could include the little European BakeShop in Hartford, the Chase County Courthouse and Emma Chase Cafe in Cottonwood Falls, the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve,

I would plan a longer stop in Hutchinson with its world class Cosmophere & Space Center, salt mine museum and lots of good locally owned restaurants.

I would then drop down to 54 where I would add Greenberg to see how that community recovered from the famous tornado, a stop at the Kansas Meteorite Museum in Haviland, Kansas and checking out the bizare roadside art ot M. T. Liggett in Mullinville.

http://www.kansastravel.org/ has info on all of these.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: St Louis to Salt Lake City in 5 1/2 days

You can follow us50 all the way to Dodge City and into Colorado (Bent's old Fort is interesting) to Pueblo and Canon City. From Canyon City it's very scenic over Monarch Pass to Gunnison, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP and Montrose. Less for the drive to Grand Junction but Colorado NM is a gem.

Into Utah you can take 128 to Moab for the great National Parks in that area. Moab to Wendover is a 6 hours drive via Price and SLC.

Of course you can follow I70 all the way. From Denver it's a great stretch over Vail Pass.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 127
3. Re: St Louis to Salt Lake City in 5 1/2 days

If you choose 54 and pick up Wichita there is a fabulous zoo, Old Cowtown Museum (depending on the weekend/day there is interactive events going on), nightlife, there is also Tanganika Wildlife Park - a smaller, privately owned zoo just ouside Wichita, many great places to eat, Art Museum, Botanical Gardens...

Reply to: St Louis to Salt Lake City in 5 1/2 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Topeka