We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Overnight Stay , Dinner and Sights

Which Topeka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Overland Park Kansas
An Overnight Stay , Dinner and Sights

Hello

I will be visiting Topeka Oct 16 and 17th. I was hoping to get some insight as to places to eat , things to do and a resonably priced place to stay.

I had seen on this sight two hotels : Super 8 Motel Forbes Landing and Candlewood Suites. Any thoughts ? I am not familiar with the area so I would like to feel safe and at the same time not spend time driving to and from city highlights. Both are within my price range and there are just two of us traveling.

Seond, I had seen on line The Bottoms Up Sports Bar thinking dinner and drinks. Bradleys Corner Cafe or Fields of Greens sem like possible choices for lunches. We prefer mom/pop places.

We thought about going to the combat airmuseum or the Holley Museum of Military History. We visited the Ike Museum in Abilene and loved it. Any ideas or other suggestions ? We like seeing things that different or unusual. We also though about visiting the Rees Fruit Farm on our way out of town.

Any suggestions anyone may have would be appreciated.

bay66

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 102
1. Re: An Overnight Stay , Dinner and Sights

The Kansas Museum of History is very nice. The State Capitol Building is interesting and free.

If you are going to the Combat Air Museum, time your visit so the Museum of the Kansas National Guard is also open.

Topeka, Kansas
reviews: 57
2. Re: An Overnight Stay , Dinner and Sights

Just stay on Wanamaker Road since it is near Westridge Mall, and there are many hotel/restaurant options in the 10 blocks or so along that area.

I would not recommend either of the hotels you listed, and I personally wouldn't go to the Bottoms up or Brad's although Field of Greens is ok (it's downtown though and not near Westridge)

You can get to Forbes easily from Westridge by taking I-470, and the Combat Air Museum is good. The Kansas History Museum is also north on Wanamaker from I-70 so also close to the Westridge Mall area....there are several restaurants and movie theater in that area.

Be sure and look up as you come through the downtown area to see the huge crane...they are working on the Capitol Dome and Ad Astra.

If you go east on Huntoon from Wanamaker, you will see the Gage Shopping Center Area (near Gage and Huntoon Streets), and there are 3 nice local restaurants and several bars in that area that are fun and safe.

Hope you have a good time :)

Overland Park Kansas
3. Re: An Overnight Stay , Dinner and Sights

Thank you for your help.

bay66

Overland Park Kansas
4. Re: An Overnight Stay , Dinner and Sights

TopekaDucky,

Thank you for your suggestions. Do you know if there is a Homewood Suites in or near Topeka ?

Thanks

bay66

Topeka, Kansas
5. Re: An Overnight Stay , Dinner and Sights

No Homewood Suites in Topeka, but part of that hotel family is the Hampton Inn and there's one near Westridge Mall at;

1515 S.W. Arrowhead Rd

Topeka, Kansas, USA, 66604

1-785-228-0111

I just copied this from their website...

From I-70 Exit 356 - turn left on to Wanamaker Rd and go to Huntoon St intersection - turn left on to Huntoon St and go 0.05 mile and turn right on to SW Arrowhead Rd. . From I-470 Exit 1B Wanamaker Rd Huntoon St. turn right onto Wanamaker Road, go 0.01 mile and turn right onto Huntoon go 0.2 mile and turn right onto SW Arrowhead Rd. Cross Streets - Huntoon Street and SW Arrowhead Road

I will be traveling alot the next week or two but will check TA when I can, so please send me a personal message if I can offer further assistance. I'll reply back to you when I get somewhere with internet access :)

Overland Park Kansas
6. Re: An Overnight Stay , Dinner and Sights

Thank you Topeka Ducky. Just got your message and we had to swith dates but your info was appreciated.

bay66

Topeka, Kansas
7. Re: An Overnight Stay , Dinner and Sights

Anytime you need info, I suggest Trip Advisor since I've received lots of great info here (well mostly on the Vegas forum) LOL

8. Re: An Overnight Stay , Dinner and Sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:33 am, April 17, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Topeka