We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local restaurant

Which Topeka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 94
Local restaurant

Please suggest a local restaurant with character and good food, that I might try this Thursday evening. Any cuisine.

Topeka, Kansas
reviews: 56
1. Re: Local restaurant

Pepe and Chelas just west of 10th and Topeka and south of Topeka High School or Las Fuentes in Gage Shopping Center near Huntoon and Gage are both good Mexican.

Out by Flexel (the old DuPont) on east 6th (or highway 40 heading to Lawrence) is the Topeka Steakhouse...good food but not real exciting atmosphere. Same with McFarlands in Gage Shopping Center.

Other than that, I got nuthin'....we are a city of government, banks, and chain restaurants! LOL

Since I am not very exciting, hopefully someone else will see your request and offer some other options.

Topeka, Kansas
2. Re: Local restaurant

Just curious...where did you end up eating supper the other evening?

Kansas
Destination Expert
3. Re: Local restaurant

A place which I think you had receomended at another time - Chez Yasu. The folks from Topeka that joined us had never heard of it, though one thought she had dined in a different restaurant at that location years ago. It was the best meal I have had in Topeka and resonably priced for that type of restaurant.

Topeka, Kansas
4. Re: Local restaurant

Oh it is good...we hardly eat out anymore, and it's hard to remember some of the small but good places here. There are a couple in the Gage Shopping Center (off Huntoon and Gage Blvd) for you the check into the next time.

We have planning another run to the Plaza before the first of the year, so I am looking at KC restaurants. LOL

Topeka, Kansas
reviews: 24
5. Re: Local restaurant

I'm a tad late here but someone may benefit. I find The Plantation Steak House to be not only good but interesting!

Here is someone else's "history" on the place:

yelp.com/biz/plantation-steak-house-topeka

Kansas
Destination Expert
6. Re: Local restaurant

Thank you for the lead.

Do you still take your own alcohol to the steakhouse?

Topeka, Kansas
reviews: 24
7. Re: Local restaurant

I honestly do not know but I will make a call to them and ask and post my findings here : )

Topeka, Kansas
8. Re: Local restaurant

Oh you like the Plantation? We've never been there, because we keep hearing the food is either really good or worth a refund. I don't think you have to take your own alchohol anymore....but a phone call is best since I could (and probably am) be incorrect.

LLLover...if you go, please reply back to this post about your experience since we may also try it sometime :)

New York City, New...
reviews: 21
9. Re: Local restaurant

I haven't tried the Plantation either, but I have the Topeka Steakhouse. Good service, but food was, "minimal value for money." This is an old-fashioned steak house: gravel parking lot, building looks like a leftover from a WW2 armed forces installation, you get a steak and a baked potato - and nothing else. Service was good but, like Bobo's (notoriously bad service for such a small place!), it's running on reputation these days - definitely not quality! The KC Strip I had was closer to, "disguised sirloin" and about the equivalent of one (or, for that matter, several) I could purchase at the $10 All-You-Can-Eat Buffett at Coyote Canyon!

"BYOB" to a Topeka establishment! Reminds me of when Topeka was a dry city inside a dry state. The State AG, Vern Miller, was fining airlines who served liquor when in Kansas airspace, Kansas Revenue Agents rode cross-state passenger trains to ensure the Club Cars were closed when on Kansas rail, and one of the most successful gentleman I knew had a personal bottle locked up in a private club on the second floor of Gage Bowl... Believe those days are over!

Edited: 2:40 pm, August 07, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
10. Re: Local restaurant

MrC...I DO remember those days, and it has changed alot here since then. We haven't been to the Topeka Steakhouse recently but still is the same as you describe. I also remember the place above Gage Bowl (the Cork Club) since Mr. Ducky proposed there to me ;)

Get answers to your questions about Topeka