We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, AL
reviews: 19
What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

Fly in Logan 6pm Fri, board cruise 1pm Sat. In Aug. What neighborhood should we look at for a morning of taking in a leisurely walk of sights and a good breakfast?

22 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 58
1. Re: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

Check out Back Bay and Beacon Hill

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 1
2. Re: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

What kind of "sights" are you referring to?

Birmingham, AL
3. Re: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. I'm planning for my 60-something year old parents. They have planned an impromptu cruise out of Boston and really, it's just a stopover.

They like nicer accommodations, but don't want to pay for frills they can't use. They enjoy B&Bs. I think they are looking for a colonial neighborhood, possibly waterfront, or near the water. Dad is a history buff, so if there is a Revolutionary period neighborhood where they can do a self guided walking tour after breakfast, that might be great. Or a big Saturday market? I think they really just want a nice area to kill a few hours and soak in the city before they move onto the cruise terminal.

They will most likely not have a car.

They also might like an area near nice restaurants in case they want to have a fine dining meal after checkin.

Edited: 9:08 am, July 23, 2014
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 20
4. Re: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

I'll let Alan and the other Boston experts suggest which historic area to tour however once your folks are on the ship I think they will find it just too convenient to have lunch from several onboard options if they stick with the 1pm boarding time. However, check their documents and see what time they have to be onboard because they can leave their bags with the bellman at the hotel, go to one of the great restaurants nearby the hotel or during their touring and arrive at the ship later on that day.

Birmingham, AL
5. Re: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

They cannot board before 1pm, so I know they will at least have their morning free. I'm thinking arrival, dinner, breakfast/brunch, and then leaving them on their own for lunch on the go or on the ship.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 29
6. Re: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

I'd say the closest thing I can think of for the criteria is the North End. It's Colonial (Paul Revere, Old North Church), it's on the water, and it's easy to get to the cruise terminal via water taxi or regular taxi.

Look for a nice B&B in the North End. I don't know about any of them, but maybe someone here could recommend one.

Birmingham, AL
7. Re: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

That's a start. Thank you. Can someone describe what to expect in the way of neighborhood feel if they chose Back Bay or Beacon Hill?

Birmingham, AL
8. Re: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

Any reason not to try Harborside Inn (on State Street near the Aquarium T station)?

North End looks light on hotels and B&Bs.

Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
9. Re: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

I've stayed at the Harborside Inn twice and like it very much. The location is wonderful (although some people do complain about it being noisy at bar-closing time).

Santa Cruz, CA
reviews: 4
10. Re: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?

We'll be taking a roundtrip New England cruise out of Boston in Sept. 2015. I booked an apartment through Airbnb for 2 nights before the cruise in the North End. We'll be within easy walking distance to Faneuil Hall, Hanover St. and the Freedom Trail. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods. After our cruise we'll stay in Medford at another Airbnb house so we can visit with our daughter who will be a grad student at Tufts. When she's in school we'll explore her neighborhood, as well as taking the T into Boston. The Public Garden is a favorite place of ours to hang out.

Reply to: What neighborhood for 1 night before cruise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted