We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walden Pond

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Walden Pond

Hello,

I am planning to visit Walden Pond between November 25th which is the date Thoreau gave for when the ground was covered in snow and December 4th. It is the view of the pond I would most like to see. Is anybody able to tell me what the likelihood is of seeing some snow there between those dates?

Much appreciated,

Tanya

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,028 posts
1. Re: Walden Pond

You can never tell about weather, but your chances of seeing snow at that time is probably not too high. It's possible, of course, but don't expect it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Walden Pond

Thankyou. If I was to push it back a week or two to the first two weeks in December as I haven't yet booked my flights, do you think my chances would be any better or likely the same?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Walden Pond

You just can't predict. If you google you get some historical information. One such example: currentresults.com/Weather/Massachusetts/Pla…

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
155 reviews
4. Re: Walden Pond

Your. best and safest chances of seeing snow on the ground are in January and February.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Walden Pond

Well, of course the later you come in Dec., the more likely to see snow, but that said, December is generally not a very snowy month. It is more common that we don't have a white Christmas than we do. That said, the weather has gotten so crazy that it's hard to generalize any more.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
134 reviews
6. Re: Walden Pond

I agree with all the above, but also wanted to point out that the Concord Museum had a special exhibit on Thoreau and climate change last year (unfortunately, I never got there). You may enjoy looking at their webpages on the exhibition:

concordmuseum.org/early-spring-exhibition.php

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Walden Pond

Thanks so much everyone for the valuable advice and links. I'm putting it back a week - if I don't see the snow near the pond then so be it - there will be other holidays. Really appreciated,

Tanya

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
144 reviews
8. Re: Walden Pond

Snow isn't likely until Jan-Feb. If it costs money to push the vacation back, i wouldn't bother.

I love Walden Pond and feel that it's special no matter what, so I'm sure you'll have a meaningful visit. It is New England and the weather is really unpredictable. Maybe you'll be blessed with an early snowfall...

Winchester...
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
72 reviews
9. Re: Walden Pond

Interesting thread. Some good statistics. Although there is only a 23% chance of a white christmas in Boston proper, the chances are higher in Concord (closer to 50%).

This photo was taken in October, 2009 a couple of miles from Walden Pond:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83943110@N00/14714599214/

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
144 reviews
10. Re: Walden Pond

Thomas makes a good point. It's New England and you really never know...