We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, Illinois
reviews: 7
Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

Hi!

We'd like your advice on hotel location. In mid-September we'll be arriving in Boston early Sunday morning at Black Falcon port then flying home via Logan airport the next day. Since some of our group are on a budget, they've found some hotels near the airport that advertise a shuttle. On the other hand, we only have 1.5 days to sightsee so want to be able to do as much as possible in that short amount of time. Will we run into any problems staying a few miles outside of Boston? Suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 1
1. Re: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

Obviously, staying in the city is a much better idea. Some hotels that advertise a shuttle for the Airport are actually no where near it. Plus they run limited hours and you still have to get Downtown from there.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 29
2. Re: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

as mentioned, a hotel with "airport" in the name does not mean that it's on the airport property. Some of them are in East Boston or Revere and are not convenient for getting downtown without a car.

You didn't mention what your budget is, but if you can swing it, you should find something in town and you will be much happier.

Lincoln, Illinois
3. Re: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

Their budget is under $200 and I think they are thinking about the Hampton Inn near the airport. Personaly, I'm pulling for the Millennium in center of Boston. It's just over $200, but worried about transportation to the airport on Monday afternoon.

Boston...
4. Re: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

The airport hotel shuttles bring people to the Airport station on the Blue Line. They don't bring people into Boston. Just so there is no confusion. I think there is an Embassy Suites near the Blue Line station. That would be more convenient than other hotels except for the Hyatt and Hilton.

With only one night it would be much better to stay right in Boston.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 1
5. Re: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

The Millennium is an easy trip by taxi or subway from the Airport. A MUCH better choice than outside of town.

Edited: 6:43 pm, July 20, 2014
Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

The Millennium would be a great location for you, and you'll have no problem getting to the airport--they're practically rubbing elbows. If the Millennium is really just a little bit over budget... and divided among several people... well, I can't make financial decisions for your group, but you should definitely press your case.

Cambridge...
reviews: 95
7. Re: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

The Millenium is in the heart of loads of things to do, right at your doorstep and within easy walking distance. If you only have such a short time in Boston, don't spend it in traffic. The airport hotels are not in convenient areas and not even close to such things as stores or restaurants, you're really stuck there. at the Millenium you can walk out for coffee, dinner, whatever.

Boston
reviews: 29
8. Re: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

If the Millenium is just a bit over budget go for it. It is a nicer hotel than the airport hotels and the location is so much better. You will enjoy your short time here much more. Why are you worried about transportation to the airport on Monday afternoon? Just get a cab at your hotel. If there were no traffic at all it would probably be a 15 minute ride or less, but give yourself much more time so as not to stress.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 315
9. Re: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

I only have 2 days and I am electing to stay in the city. If I had a week I would stay outside the city and just get the 7 day transport so that I could save money on hotel stay.

Lincoln, Illinois
10. Re: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?

Thanks! Truly appreciate your quick help! The Millennium it is.

Reply to: Best to stay outside of Boston or in central location?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted