We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston-and New England States

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 36
Boston-and New England States

Hi there--I didn't know what forum to put this on, but my husband and I are planning to travel to Boston and are trying to decide which other New England states we should visit. We have 9 days and want advice on what are the "must sees" It will be over the labor day week and we want to see as much as we can---the rich history this side of the country has to offer. Any help would be appreciated

Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Boston-and New England States

Is history your main focus, then?

Boston...
reviews: 146
2. Re: Boston-and New England States

How long do you plan to stay in Boston itself and how far do you feel like driving? How many stops do you want to make? Personally I think Burlington, VT is pretty cool and somewhere most people should experience. But, it's a good 4+ hours from Boston.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 151
3. Re: Boston-and New England States

I would definitely take a look at Newport, RI with its gorgeous turn of the last century mansions that you can tour, ocean views and vibrant downtown for shopping and dining. Also, Maine for lighthouses, coastline, views and lobster (if you like it). Also in Massachusetts, Lexington and Concord for Revolutionary War history.

Michigan
4. Re: Boston-and New England States

I want to see the history and the beaches. We were thinking 3 days boston, 1 day rh and then go to nh and then Maine. Don't know if that sounds good and I want to see as much as we can.

Michigan
5. Re: Boston-and New England States

Also--need help in figuring out where to stay in each state--we were thinking B and b's and want to be located where we can see as much as we can in each place. It is a little overwhelming.

Hollis, New...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Boston-and New England States

I would suggest you plan a stay in Portsmouth, NH. You can enjoy the historical attractions of Portsmouth, and from there you can also visit the beaches of NH and southern ME.

Martin Hill Inn (http://www.martinhillinn.com/) is a nice Portsmouth B&B.

Edited: 1:19 pm, April 05, 2014
Boston...
reviews: 19
7. Re: Boston-and New England States

Read a bunch of Trip Reports, and forum posts on driving trips, New England, or foliage ( even if you're not interested in fall color). These will give you ideas. You won't be able to see all of New England, but can go to about 3 different places, at least. Let's make sure you can avoid some Labor Day craziness and not be on the road at the worst times. Maybe be in Boston over that weekend?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 151
8. Re: Boston-and New England States

Maxie is right, you want to avoid driving to NH or Maine on the Friday before Labor Day and coming back to Boston on Labor Day itself. Bad highway traffic. regarding Suggestions of where to stay, what is your nightly budget?.

Michigan
9. Re: Boston-and New England States

We are going to start in Boston and then get a car on labor day and have 6 days to drive around. We are trying to stay for no more than $250.00 a night including breakfast.

10. Re: Boston-and New England States

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 07, 2015