We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another first visitor to Boston ....

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Caerphilly, United...
reviews: 28
Another first visitor to Boston ....

I'm visiting Boston for the first time this November (arriving on the 4th and staying 7 days) and I realise that I'll be too late for some attractions such as whale watching. I'm looking forward to exploring the city, especially the historical sites, but was wondering where else you'd advise me to visit outside of the city itself this time of year, and the best way of getting to these places? I notice, for example that the schedule of the Salem ferry only goes up to September.

Many thanks

San Francisco...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Another first visitor to Boston ....

That certainly doesn't mean you can't get to Salem, just that you'll be taking the train instead. Salem is about 20 - 30 min north of Boston, and you would take the Commuter Rail from North Station. Do a quick check on www.mbta.com for times. The schedule varies depending on weekday to weekends. The attractions are open all year round so you won't be out of luck.

Early November can still be nice, and places like Rockport and Gloucester on Cape Ann (also reachable by Commuter Rail) are lovely. If the ferries are still running to Provincetown I would certainly do that. The high-speed may only be during the summer but there may be others.

Norwood...
reviews: 20
2. Re: Another first visitor to Boston ....

Jules, what are your intrests? I'm sure we can come up with a long list if you have a focus. The area is rich inactivities. It usually doesn't start snowing untill Nov 12th :) So you might be able to get 2 seasons in one. (i little humor. That's my birthday and there always seems to be a small snow squall on that day.) It is often still Autumn at that time. Although I think we had a bad Halloween storm this past year.

Caerphilly, United...
3. Re: Another first visitor to Boston ....

Well my partner is certainly interested in military history but both of enjoy historical sites and museums in general. As we're in the city for a week (staying at the Clarion Bullfinch) it would also be nice to see some of the surrounding area, we're not hiring a car so this would have to be done via public transport/organised tours.

We also love eating out, but nowhere too up market and are both looking forward to just enjoying the culture of the city and while learning about its historical past.

Shopping isn't top pf our prority list but we're always pleased to pick up a few bargains and November is close enough to Christmas to hopefully pick up a few unique presents.

Many thanks for your help :-)

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 30
4. Re: Another first visitor to Boston ....

Hi,

If you are interested in history, one easily-accessible area is the Adams National Historic Park in Quincy. It's the home and birthplace of John Adams and John Quincy Adams. They have a nice trolley tour of the homes and many original artifacts, including an original copy of the Declaration of Independence. The sites are open through November 10th, so you will be just in time to catch it if you go early in your stay. The visitor's center is directly across the street from the Quincy Center Red Line T station, so you don't need a car at all.

http://www.nps.gov/adam/

Unfortunately, some of the other sites which would be interesting are further outside the city, and really require a car to get to, or have closed for the season by the time you are here. Salem is a good choice, and you will enjoy visiting there.

I'm sure you will want to visit the major museums in town, the Museum of Fine Arts, Gardner Museum, Museum of Science. All are definitely worth a visit.

For dinner one night, definitely go to Durgin Park, in Quincy Market. It's an old style Boston institution since the 1850's, and the food is excellent, and very reasonable. They have great Prime Rib, and wonderful versions of New England cuisine, such as clam chowder, baked schrod, boiled dinner, and Indian Pudding. It's one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 30
5. Re: Another first visitor to Boston ....

Hi,

I forgot to mention (I wish we could EDIT these posts...are you listening TA?).

The museums at Harvard are definitely worth a trip. The Fogg art museum has many fine exhibits, and the Museum of Natural History is very interesting as well. In fact, I always encourage visitors to see the Glass Flowers exhibit at the Natural History museum. It's a one-of-a-kind exhibit, and it's just amazing:

…harvard.edu/exhibitions/glassflowers.html

Caerphilly, United...
6. Re: Another first visitor to Boston ....

Thank you very much for the advice - I'm now starting to put my "must do" list together !! :-)

Norwood...
7. Re: Another first visitor to Boston ....

Don't miss old ironsides...easy trip to charles town, lots of neat restaurants over there too, although some are pricey.

…navy.mil/VisitorInformation.htm

USS CONSTITUTION WINTER HOURS

November 1 to March 31

Open Thurs -Sun, 10am-3:50 pm

tours every 30 minutes, last tour starts at 3:30pm

Does anyone know if No names is still around? It used to be out on the pier.

Norwood...
8. Re: Another first visitor to Boston ....

i just found this write up. I haven't been her ein years but it was always a Boston must when i was a resident of Western Mass visiting the city...http://www.theinsider.com/Boston/Restaurants/no-name.htm

Now that I am a local I tend not to get to the treasures as much.

The barking crab near by is fun too but I'm not sure if it's seasonal.

9. Re: Another first visitor to Boston ....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:21 am, August 12, 2009