We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pekin, Illinois
reviews: 1
Visit

My son and I are wanting to visit Boston in June. We have never been so I'm unsure of where to stay and transportation. We will be flying. Would love to do all the tourist stuff and he wants to visit Gillette Stadium! I didn't know if we stayed outside of Boston, if there was a train that went into the city.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 111
1. Re: Visit

Hi, there is both the commuter rail & the subway however it is more convenient to stay in the city if you want to do all the tourist stuff. Do you have specific dates in mind? a budget for accommodations? Though you don't need a car in the city, there is no public transportation to Gillette Stadium which is actually about 30 miles from Boston so you would need to rent a car for that part of the visit.

Boston
reviews: 44
2. Re: Visit

There are trains that go into the city. There is the commuter rail and subway lines. See www.mbta.com

All depends on your budget but check prices in Back Bay/Copley/Downtown areas of Boston first. If they're above your budget you could try further out (Cambridge, Quincy, north of Boston, etc). If at all possible stay in or close to downtown though, it just makes it so much easier. Also post your exact dates and someone on the board might be able to find a deal online.

You won't need a car while in Boston but you will (realistically) need a car to get to Gillette Stadium since it's about 30 miles outside of Boston. It is possible to take the Franklin line of the commuter rail to Walpole station and take a taxi to the stadium and same in reverse to get back to Boston but very inconvenient. Also note that there are no tours of Gillette Stadium, you can walk to near the gate in the plaza where you can see the field but no tours. The Patriots Hall of Fame is there is if your son's a Patriots fan. If you go, check to see if there is a concert or big event on before you make the hike out there. If he's a soccer fan the Revolution will be playing that time of year.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 151
3. Re: Visit

Revolution tickets are pretty inexpensive and you can buy them right before the game.

Boston...
reviews: 146
4. Re: Visit

You're better off touring Fenway Park than going all the way to Gilette.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 3
5. Re: Visit

If your son loves football, he'd definitely enjoy Gillette Stadium like I did. Gillette Stadium currently does not offer tours, such a bummer. You will need a car to get to Foxboro, cab might be pricey.

Pekin, Illinois
6. Re: Visit

Ok thanks for the information!! I just want to make sure we are staying in a place where we can have easy access to the train to get around! We will be there June 16-20. I also wanted to find out about the ferry, my son wants to go on one and he also wants to go on a whale watching trip!! Gillette stadium is a must just for him to see, as this is all he has talked about! He is a huge patriots fan!

Boston
reviews: 29
7. Re: Visit

You will really have to rent a car to go to Gillette, but you don't want or need one downtown. If you can afford it you should stay in a hotel downtown and just rent a car for a day. There are downtown rental offices.

Pekin, Illinois
8. Re: Visit

We will be there June 15-20! Thanks do much for the information!!

Pekin, Illinois
9. Re: Visit

Does anybody know about the location of the double tree boston bayside? I want to be as close to downtown as possible but the rates for downtown are between 400-600 a night! If we stay outside boston I want to be close to the T

10. Re: Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 19, 2015