We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostel accommodation in Boston?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 7
Hostel accommodation in Boston?

Hi I'm unsure if Hostel is really a type of accommodation at all in America, it doesn't seem big. Myself and my boyfriend were looking for coming to Boston for about two or three weeks, we found cheap flights [not booked yet] but accommodation is proving expensive. We're student so budget would be very very cheap, hence why I'm asking about Hostels. We will be spending some time with boyfriends family in Maine, but still is working out quite expensive

Is there any Hostels, backpackers type hostels, in Boston that would be decent, safe & clean?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Boston...
reviews: 94
1. Re: Hostel accommodation in Boston?

http://bostonhostel.org

Personally I've never stayed at a hostel nor would I ever. But, it's a safe, cheap alternative for others. I know people on here have recommended it.

Boston
reviews: 40
2. Re: Hostel accommodation in Boston?

Hostels definitely not as big here as in Europe but the ones in Boston do fill up, especially in peak season, just like hotels so try to book early if possible.

I haven't stayed at a hostel in Boston since I live here, but a site I like is hostelworld.com. Even if you don't book thru them, the site has a listing of the hostels and reviews of them. Same as for a hotel, be careful not to book somewhere that says it's in Boston when it's actually in a surrounding town without easy public transportation. You can always post back here if questions on location. Link below to their Boston hostels page.

A random note on hostels in general, check out prices on-line for your dates, but then also call or directly email the hostels to see if they can give you a better rate. It's only worked for me twice when I used hostels but you have nothing to lose except the cost of the call and you could possibly end up saving even $5 a day which adds up over the trip, especially when you're on a tight budget.

hostelworld.com/findabed.php/ChosenCity.Bost…

Boston...
3. Re: Hostel accommodation in Boston?

The hostel in Boston is about two years old, in a very good location. I've not stayed there but it looks terrific from the outside. It gets good reviews and I wouldn't hesitate to book it.

You may also want to check apartment options on VRBO or Airbandb. Don't book anything that doesn't have reviews and don't wire money for deposits. If you find someplace, come back and check here for opinions.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 53
4. Re: Hostel accommodation in Boston?

There is a backpackers outside of Boston on a bus line and about a 15-20 minute walk from the subway. I have driven by it many times and seen people around ... But really don't know much about it

https:/…35211

When are you planning to be here. Certain times of the year are cheaper than others

Boston...
reviews: 16
5. Re: Hostel accommodation in Boston?

Here is a very inexpensive Inn (for Boston) u might check out:

http://www.farringtoninn.com/

http://www.hostels.com/boston/usa

http://www.hiusa.org/boston

www.best4hostels.com/boston_hostels.htm

Good luck.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 13
6. Re: Hostel accommodation in Boston?

Look for a room on AirBnb.com. That's where people can rent out a room in their home or apartment to vacationers. There are some lower priced options. Just make sure they are near the T. Double check locations with the forum.

DO NOT book anything from independent listings (e.g. Craigslist) or you could be scammed. Stick with professional sites that offer some level of guarantee and manage the financial transaction.

Hosteling International is fine. Their max stay is 14 days. In summer, it's $55 per night, per person for a bed in a shared economy dorm.

Boston accommodations are just plain expensive (even for those who live there). Regulations (safety, zoning, etc) probably play a role in the limited numbers of cheap hostels.

What is your budget? It may be that such a long trip is simply not realistic. Have you figured out how you will get to Maine and factored in the cost of that transportation?

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 33
7. Re: Hostel accommodation in Boston?

I'll be staying at HI Boston http://bostonhostel.org/ on Nov 18 if you want to hear first hand how it is.

And maybe you should look at Airbnb although I was surprised how relatively expensive the offerings were

Edited: 5:47 pm, November 12, 2013
Boston...
8. Re: Hostel accommodation in Boston?

I have never stayed at a Hostel either, but could be a good option for you depending on how low your budget is. As mentioned, check out AirBnB.com as you may find a good deal from someone renting out a room or their place, just make sure to check out the reviews and such. Boston is expensive for lodging in general, but hopefully you'll get a better deal since it's the offseason. Good luck!

Kate

BostonOnBudget.com

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 130
9. Re: Hostel accommodation in Boston?

I stayed at the HI Hostel for a weekend last year and it was new, clean, very, very nice and the location is great, very central. However, as mentioned above, although it is inexpensive for Boston, at about $50-60 per night for a dorm bed, it is pricey compared to some European hostels that you might be used to. For about the same price, you can get a double room with shared bath at the Farrington Inn, but look at the reviews here before you decide. Also check 40 Berkeley, another central hostel.

Cambridge...
reviews: 19
10. Re: Hostel accommodation in Boston?

Read the TripAdvisor reviews for "Hostelling International - Boston," if you haven't already. I haven't stayed there, but I watched it being built over the last couple of years. The setting looks exactly like Ireland: rolling green hills, stone walls, roaming sheep. Okay, so it's in an unattractive, especially urban part of our fair city, but you can reach everything by foot, and there's a wide selection of beers next door at Jacob Wirth's, if you are so inclined. Good luck!

Reply to: Hostel accommodation in Boston?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted