We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels convienient to college search

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Hotels convienient to college search

We are flying into Boston the last week of October to make some college visits with my son and his friend. We were hoping not to rent a car as I understand the subway system is easy to navigate. What hotels are within easy access to Boston College, Boston U, MIT, Bentley Univ, and Harvard? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 24
1. Re: Hotels convienient to college search

Budget may dictate where you stay Do you have specific dates?. All of the colleges are very accessible by public transportation. Bentley (daughter is a grad from there) is a little further to get to by public transportation but still doable.

Edited: 5:18 am, September 17, 2013
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 57
2. Re: Hotels convienient to college search

I agree with Mahj. Most Boston hotels will work. Try to avoid the weekend of oct 19 & 20. This is the weekend of the head of the Charles regatta and hotels fill up.

Bentley runs their own bus from Harvard square but I don't know if you need a student I'd to get on. Alternatively, you could take comuter rail to Waltham and use a bus or taxi for the last few miles of the journey.

bentley.edu/files/campus-life/pdf/parking-dr…

Specific hotels to consider would be around Boston Common with easy access to both Red and Green lines of the subway, such as the Omni Parker house, Nine Zero and the Hyatt Regency. All back bay hotels have easy access to the green line and connections are easy. Hotels in Kendall square and Harvard square Cambridge are near the red line.

Edited: 5:46 am, September 17, 2013
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 1
3. Re: Hotels convienient to college search

Those are all very different flavors of schools and their levels are also quite different. If this is just to see what kind of school they might want to go to, rather than to select a specific school, I guess that's okay.

You can take the Red Lin Subway or the#1 Bus along Massachusetts Avenue for both MIT and Harvard, the Green Line Subway for both BU and BC. You would need North Station for the Commuter Rail to Bentley.

Edited: 5:56 am, September 17, 2013
Mandeville, LA
reviews: 2
4. Re: Hotels convienient to college search

I just returned from Boston/Rockport/Cambridge. We stayed one night at the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge by default. It overlooks the Charles River and offers views of rowing teams and downtown Boston. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to (4) subway stations of which we utilized (3): Harvard Square, Boston University, Kendall/MIT and I think the other was the galleria area.....very easy. The hotel and staff were great. The shuttle stopped us off right at Harvard's gates. You can access Boston easily from any of these stations.

Boston
reviews: 29
5. Re: Hotels convienient to college search

Just about any downtown/Back Bay hotel will work, but I like forgot's suggestion to stay around the Common with easy access to the Green and Red lines. If you are on a budget, check the Park Plaza. It's is large, older hotel, but is perfectly fine and well located. Just beware, that some of the rooms can be very small, so check about that especially if you are all in one room. Bentley is outside of Boston/Cambridge and will not be so easy to reach with public transportation. You might even consider renting a car for that day. There are rental agencies downtown.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 57
6. Re: Hotels convienient to college search

If your student won't have a car then show him reality by using public transportation to get around. Lots of students attend Bentley without a car. Call and ask about visitors riding their bus from Harvard Square, because thatveould be the easiest route.

Edited: 8:33 am, September 17, 2013
Cambridge...
reviews: 66
7. Re: Hotels convienient to college search

If I were a prospective college student I'd probably want to stay in a hotel either in the Kenmore Square area near BU (Hotel Commonwealth or Buckminster) or in Harvard Square (Charles Hotel, Harvard Square Hotel), because both have more student-oriented retail and nightlife options than the other campuses you are visiting. Your budget may influence your hotel options, in which case any place convenient to a Green Line or Red Line stop should work. Bentley is a 40 minute bus ride from Harvard Square, according to Google maps (route 73 to route 554), versus a 20 minute car ride, so renting a car for your Bentley visit may be more practical than public transport.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
8. Re: Hotels convienient to college search

Pick a downtown hotel. All will be near a T stop. If not sure after you find something in your price range, ask before booking

9. Re: Hotels convienient to college search

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 19, 2014