We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another question on public transit from airport

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midwest USA
reviews: 110
Yet another question on public transit from airport

I would like to to take public transportation for two people from Boston Logan Airport to our hotel (Boston Marriott Copley Place). It is surprising there is no direct route to such a popular area but that seems to be the case. It will be a weekday morning and Google Maps/Transit is telling me the best options are the SL-1/Silver bus to the Purple line train or the SL-1 to the Red to the Green via the T. Light rail sounds easier so is the Silver Bus to the Red to the Green really the best option? Which would be the best T stop for this hotel (Prudential, Back Bay, or Copley) and should we consider the Orange line? Does anyone know how much the SL-1 bus charges? If Charlie Cards aren't available at the airport, which sounds like the case, sounds like I'll have to pay for the one ride there and then get a charlie card and fill it at another station along the way. Thank you in advance to any Boston Locals who can help me here.

6 replies to this topic
boston, ma
reviews: 22
1. Re: Yet another question on public transit from airport

First of all, ignore any advice to take the Purple Line (commuter rail). There are two ways of getting from the airport to Copley. The choice is yours.

1. Take the Silver Line bus from your terminal to South Sta.; the Red Line inbound to Park, then any westbound Green Line train to Copley. This trip is free from the airport.

2. Take the Massport shuttle to the Airport Blue Line station, the Blue Line inbound to Government Center, then any westbound Green Line train to Copley. The Massport shuttle is free and you can pay your fare and maybe get a Charlie Card at the Airport Blue Line station.

An alternative is to change at Downtown Crossing (Red Line) or State (Blue Line) to the Orange Line to Back Bay Sta., but these changes involve more stairs and walking.

Do you plan to purchase a passes (7 days unlimited travel for $18) or pay cash fares? If passes, you don't need a Charlie Card as they are always dispensed as paper tickets by the fare machines.

Edited: 10:42 am, July 25, 2013
Midwest USA
2. Re: Yet another question on public transit from airport

Thanks wbp,

Option 1 is completely free? Or just the bus to south station, then we would have to pay to get on red line?

I think we will be walking most of the time so no unlimited travel passes for us. I would probably like to get a Charlie Card to reload for when we get tired out once or twice.

Boston...
3. Re: Yet another question on public transit from airport

Your transfer from the Silver Line to the Red Line is free.

Back Bay Station (Orange Line) is closer to the Marriott than the Copley stop on the Green Line. More stairs probably but a shorter walk, as it is next to the Copley Place Mall.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 26
4. Re: Yet another question on public transit from airport

I'm not sure what kind of direct route you want? It's not like the MBTA can provide direct services to every hotel in Boston. If you were staying at the Seaport Hotel, you'd just be taking the Silver Line directly from the airport to your hotel :)

As mentioned, you can take the Free Silver Line bus to South Station on the Red Line, or the Free Massport Shuttle bus to Airport on the Blue Line. Your hotel is right at Back Bay Orange Line station, so you will need to change once more.

Since the Silver Line is free, and it drops you off inside of the South Station Red Line, That transfer is also free. So, if you take the Silver Line, you will in fact get a free ride to your hotel. You will need to navigate some stairs at South Station and at Downtown Crossing, but unless you have loads of luggage, it shouldn't be too bad.

Sounds like you don't need the weekly pass, so just buy a Charlie Ticket at any MBTA station if you want to use the T later on.

Edited: 12:38 pm, July 25, 2013
Midwest USA
5. Re: Yet another question on public transit from airport

I was just surprised it will take a minimum of three transfers to get to such a central, tourist-popular area. Other big cities I have visited seem to be direct or one transfer tops to get to anything in the downtown area. But for a free ride from the airport I'm more than happy to switch lines a few times. Silver to Red to Orange it is, thank you again.

Boston...
6. Re: Yet another question on public transit from airport

One of the advantages traveling to Boston is that the airport is so close to the city. Much closer than airports that serve other big cities. I think a lot of people take taxis because of the short ride.

Reply to: Yet another question on public transit from airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted