We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Catlin, Illinois
reviews: 102
Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Part 1 Lincoln, NH (White Mountains)

Part 2 Ashland, NH (Lakes Region)

Part 3 Boston

Tuesday June 25: We loaded up the cars and were on the I-93 South bound by 7 am. Our group is my wife, our 2 grown daughters plus me.

When we arrived in the Boston area are cars became separated. Driving in Boston was everything we have heard it was. So each car used their own GPS to go to Boston Common parking garage. My wife and I only missed 1 turn, so I was feeling good.

We parked the car and came out near the ball field and waited for out daughter to call.

When our daughter called told us that they were at a parking lot on Charles street about 20 minutes away.Today was forecasted to be sunny and in the low 90's. The weatherman was correct, It was getting hot. So my wife and I had an ice cream while walking around the common waiting for the kids.

The kids finally arrived and were ready for The Freedom Trail. We picked up our maps at the visitor center on the common and started the trail.

At the Granary Burying Ground we used the information from TA members to followed the groups to find out who was buried where. This was very helpful, otherwise we would be thinking that Ben Franklin was buried there.

By the time we arrived at the Old South Meeting House we made a water stop at Walgreen's. While I was waiting outside a man in a yellow vest approached me. He wanted to know if I need any help finding any of the sites along the trail. I was impressed that there were people to help visitors in this very busy area.

We stopped at Quincy Market for lunch. There is a great deal of stalls inside for all kinds of food. It is also a major stop along the trail for lunch. It was very crowded and tables are at a premium.

Back on the trail we went by the older buildings on Marshall Street. Then on to the North End Italian neighborhood. We enjoyed exploring the North Square and Paul Revere Mall.

We had a rest stop at the Old North Church, a stop at Copp's Hill then a hike over Charlestown Bridge. At the USS Constitution our children decided not to wait for the tour, but take the Water Shuttle back.

My wife and I enjoyed the tour of the Constitution. But, they did not take us any farther than the first deck down. The sailor told us that since it was 94 degrees, that ship is painted black and their were no port holes, the bottom deck was too hot to visit today.

We then took the Water Shuttle and had great views of the harbor and the city. Daughter #2 and her husband have went on to Fenway. He has been a Red Sox's fan for years and this was his first time watching the Red Sox's at Fenway. They did win beating the Rockies so he had a great first visit.

We met up with Daughter #1 and here husband. She had been told by friends that if she was going to Boston they must eat at Union Oyster House. The food was good and it was nice to sit in air conditioning.

We were going to walk back to the common, but after a long hot day of walking, we decided to take the T at Haymarket. We were lucky that there was a person at the entrance of the T station to explain what tickets to buy and where to go.It was a quick trip to the common. I was surprised how crowed the T was at 7 pm.

My wife and I went to the car and drove to Plymouth for the night. Daughter #1 and her husband was going to take city shots while waiting for Daughter #2 her husband at Fenway. After they met up they all drove to meet us at the hotel in Plymouth.

Everyone enjoyed our short first visit to Boston. We now have a feel for Boston and now have areas we want to explore more in depth for our next visit.

Thank you for reading my trip report. You can view our travel pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/rwdwTA

You can read future parts of our New England trip:

Part 4 Cape Cod

Part 5 Plymouth, MA

Part 6 Ogunquit, ME

Part 7 Road Trips

Boston...
reviews: 125
1. Re: Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Great report. Sounds like you guys had a fun day in Boston.

Boston...
2. Re: Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Thanks. Nice photos. You had a busy day.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
reviews: 116
3. Re: Trip Report Part 3 Boston

I've been enjoying all your reports. Thanks very much for posting.

Boston...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Nice report

Catlin, Illinois
5. Re: Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am a big believer of trip reports. For me, they give the prospective of the first time visitor to a city or region.

I have been reading the Boston forum now since the beginning of the year. This is the primary source we used to plan our visit. I want to thank all of the posters for your ideas and opinions.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 24
6. Re: Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Enjoying your reports. Your trip seems very well organized. Love the link to the pictures as well. Were you happy staying in Plymouth?

Catlin, Illinois
7. Re: Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Hi Mahj,

We did a great deal of planning before the trip. Some of our weekend "conference calls" went 3 hours. Our goal was to have a family trip that met everyone's needs. I think we did that.

We felt that Plymouth was the best place to stay for visiting Boston and Cape Cod. We wanted to keep the moving from hotel to hotel at a minimum.

We also found the Comfort Inn in Plymouth to be a great place to stay.

Kittery, Maine
reviews: 43
8. Re: Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Man can you pack it in! The walking around in that heat must have been tiring. Sounds like a great day in Bean Town.

Boston
reviews: 29
9. Re: Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Thanks for the report.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 60
10. Re: Trip Report Part 3 Boston

Enjoyed your TR and pics seems like you had a great time.