We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

Hello - We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teens, traveling to Boston the nights of Aug. 6 - Aug. 9. I would like a hotel that is close to downtown, affordable, and ideally with continental breakfast and free wifi. I found the two hotels mentioned above. I have booked the Holiday Inn Express Cambridge at a refundable rate of $216. The Best Western University Boston/Brighton is showing on Orbitz for $198, also refundable. Which of these do you think is the better of the two options? It sounds as if the Best Western is closer to the T, yet the Holiday Inn appears closer to attractions (though not significantly, as we'll be visiting the Back Bay). We will be visiting Boston U, the Art Institute of Boston, the Freedom Trail, Boston Commons, and anything else we can squeeze in..Any other considerations? Do you think I could do better by watching Hotwire? (I've noticed very few that have breakfast and wifi.) I am willing to pay a bit more if there were some significant plus of another property, though this is at the tail end of a 10 day trip, and I'm starting to feel the pinch! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bay Area
1. Re: Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

Ah, well I realized I had a promo code for Orbitz that only worked for the Best Western, bringing the cost down to $168/nt. (pre-tax). I don't think I'm going to do any better than this from a rate standpoint, but how long will it take us to get to some of the places I mentioned on the subway?

Boston...
2. Re: Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

Looking at www.lastminutetravel.com I'm seeing the Hilton Back Bay available for your dates for $180. It is the 4 star Back Bay hotel. Also the 3 1/2 star Downtown hotel is the Doubletree Hotel on Washington Street for $153.

I don't think either will offer free wifi or breakfast but they are better located for sightseeing. The Hilton is next to the Prudential Center where there is a food court and options for inexpensive breakfast.

The green line from the Best Western will probably take you about 30 minutes to downtown. There isn't a lot of options for dining etc. in the area. It is in a residential apartment area between BC and BU.

Boston...
reviews: 125
3. Re: Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

I would go with Ting's suggestions rather than the two places you've mentioned. Better to be in the middle of the action rather than have to commute. Unless you guys are huge breakfast people you can grab a quick muffin/bagel/juice/coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

Somerville
4. Re: Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

You are at the tail end of a ten day trip? Does that mean you will have a car? If so, you will need to factor in the cost of parking, as it will not be free at your hotel.

Bay Area
5. Re: Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

Thank you for the suggestions. Lastminutetravel is not a site I have heard of before visiting this forum. While I know it would not be suggested if not reputable, there is a little part of me that is a bit uneasy with it. I will spend more time perusing these options.

We will not have a car. We will be arriving from New York either by bus or train. I've not worked that out yet. In fact, I have read how inexpensive the bus is comparatively, yet when I checked prices, it was $34pp by bus and a total of $171 for all four of us by train. Does the bus get significantly cheaper if tickets not purchased in advance and the train the opposite? Would appreciate any feedback on this as well.

Boston...
6. Re: Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

LastMinuteTravel has been used successfully by a fair number of visitors to Boston who have reported back on their success. You can search the forum to find references. The prices I listed and availability often change day to day. I understand your reluctance to use a site that you don't know. You could start a new thread with LMT in the title and ask for other's experiences.

Train travel from NYC becomes more expensive as you near the date of travel. I believe bus fares go up as well, but I'm less familiar with those prices.

Winchester...
reviews: 65
7. Re: Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

Four people can travel on August 6th from NYC to Boston on Bolt Bus for $34 TOTAL, not per person, if you buy the tickets today.

Bay Area
8. Re: Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

Thank you, Ting. I will do a little more research to increase my comfort level, but I don't doubt that you are recommending a site you trust. I also need to give myself a bit to give up breakfast and wifi, but I'm sure we could do without those. It would be nice to be in the center of the action, as bmourizzi said.

thomass144, I am laughing at myself for missing that. When I originally saw the price of the train, I thought it must be per person, since it was supposed to be so much more than the bus. When I realized it wasn't, I never went back to see if I had made the reverse error for the bus! Any comments on the two modes of travel? I was set to pay the train far, as it really isn't that bad. I think I read somewhere that the train route is more scenic?

Winchester...
reviews: 65
9. Re: Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

I think the price of the train has come down in recent years to be a little less ridiculously expensive than the low-cost busses. My experience with the train has been that it is always delayed. I'm sure the train is a little more comfortable. I don't think of it as a scenic ride either on the bus or the train. Is the train worth the extra money? Only you can decide that. I'd rather save money taking the bus and spend the money on a hotel in a better location than the two you are considering.

Boston
reviews: 29
10. Re: Holiday Inn Express Cambridge vs Best Western University

I've used LastMinuteTravel a few times and never had a problem. For peace of mind, I do call the hotel directly a couple of days after booking to make sure they have my reservation and they always have had it.