We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston in December

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton
reviews: 4
Boston in December

Please help !

Flying to Boston from the UK in December to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. Can you please advise what the weather might be like ?

Staying at the Fairmount Copley can anyone suggest a nice restaurant for his acutal birthday evening fairly close by, something not to over the top but with good food and atmosphere !

Also any good sightseeing ideas would be helpful, staying for 5 days.

Many Thanks

San Francisco...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Boston in December

Believe it or not, December weather can be all over the map. It's best to dress and bring layers, so you can be prepared for anything. I have seen December days where people are decorating their homes in shirtsleeves, and also have seen freak ice and snowstorms drop about 6" in the city. In all fairness, those are extremes. I would prepare for temps around 40 degrees F and likely rain or wet snow. A sturdy pair of shoes and an umbrella would not be out of place. As you get closer to Christmas the weather becomes more winter-like.

The Fairmount Copley has The Oak Room, a wonderful restaurant right on the main floor - perfect for a milestone birthday. You are also a few blocks from Boylston and Newbury Streets where you'll find plenty of places both cheap and expensive. If the weather holds you can take a trolley sightseeing tour. The vehicles have plastic drops and are heated so you can get a tour without undue exposure. If you enjoy church architecture you will find some of the best just steps from your hotel. Trinity Church is in the center of Copley Square, as well as Arlington Street Church at the corner of Arlington and Boylston Streets. They offer tours, and it's worth it to see the Tiffany stained glass windows in the sanctuary.

Most everything within Boston can be gotten to either on foot or via subway. Your hotel is about a block from 2 stations on different lines. In a few stops you can be downtown or to Faneuil Hall for shopping or the North End for great Italian dining. Many of the more historical sites are located there, as those sections of the city are older than the Back Bay.

Boston, Mass.
reviews: 15
2. Re: Boston in December

If you like seafood you could try Turner Fisheries in the Westin Hotel which is very good.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 29
3. Re: Boston in December

Hi Leno,

Although it isn't be best restaurant in the city, in terms of the food, Top of the Hub is a very nice restaurant at the top of the Prudential center tower, with panaramic views of Boston from the 52nd floor. The food is good, and it's definitely a "special occasion" place. I believe they also have live musical entertainment and a dance floor. It's only two blocks from your hotel, so it would be convenient, too:

www.selectrestaurants.com/tophub/index.html

Southampton
4. Re: Boston in December

Thanks for the replies, might try the Oak room for his actual birthday, as long as it does'nt break the bank ! Love fish food as well so might be spoilt for choice for the other evenings !

I have heard about the Duck tour is this worth giving a go ?

Now the all important question, retail therapy for me, us ladies love shopping, are the stores near ?

Boston, MA
reviews: 7
5. Re: Boston in December

You asked about the Duck tours - they are worth it, but unfortunately they don't run in December.

As to shopping, if you are staying in Copley Sq you are right in the middle of everything. You have Copley Plaza, an upscale mall which is connected by an enclosed walkway to the Prudential center - another mall. Also you are very close to Newbury St, Boston's main shopping street. There are boutiques as well as larger stores, cafes, spas/salons.

Southampton
6. Re: Boston in December

Hi, thanks for all the replies, I am really looking forward to this trip !

Have just found out there is no transfer from the airpot to our hotel The Fairmount Coply Plaza, at a guess how much will this cost by a taxi and are they always available ?

Sorry for all the questions

Stockholm, Sweden
7. Re: Boston in December

You are looking at a $20 - 25 cab ride from the airport to the hotel.

You are staying in a great hotel for shopping. Copley Place, Newbury Street and the shops at Prodential Center are within blocks.

As far as dinner, look into Davio's in Park Square or take a walk into the South End - Sibling Rivalry, The Butcher Shop, Franklin Cafe, Union Grille, Unmbra.

A birthday dinner at Lockeober, No. 9 Park, Spire, The Fedarlist or Grille 23 are great options.

Weather will be on the cold side and can be wet. I think it is best to prepare for anything.

England
reviews: 16
8. Re: Boston in December

If the weather's really cold and you want indoor shopping try the mall at Cambridgeside Galleria, easy to get to just take the T to Lechmere end of the line, it's just a few blocks from there.Again looking for things to do inside the Aquarium's pretty neat as is the JFK museum if that's your thing.

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 5
9. Re: Boston in December

Just to warn you, it gets pretty slushy in Boston during the winter (lots of melting snow), and you'll most likely get the bottoms of your pants wet (even in the T). For some reason they like to throw sawdust or this blue ice melt stuff on the sidewalks... if it's the former it'll make the snow look like baby poop, and if it's the latter it'll stain the bottoms of your pants. I suggest you wear pants that don't drag. It never seemed cold to me in Boston in all five and a half years that I lived there... the only time it approached uncomfortable was when it got windy. If you're at all susceptible to the cold, take along a jacket/coat that's fairly windproof.

Some of the most raved about restaurants in town are tiny, family-run places in the North End (Italian). Lots of people also tend to like the Elephant Walk (Cambodian/French). It's a little ways away, but not too far, especially if you take the T (Green Line (C) to the St. Mary's Street stop) or a quick cab ride (900 Beacon Street). There's also Legal Seafoods, which I greatly prefer to Turner.

You should go to Downtown Crossing or Fanueil Hall/Quincy for shopping. They're quite pretty around Christmas.

10. Re: Boston in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, August 14, 2009