We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports stores ?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Helsingborg, Sweden
Sports stores ?

Hi,

Iwould like to buy baseballs and a baseball glove while in Boston. I guess you probably could do this all over the place, butcould you recommend some big stores that sell this and where they are located?

Thanks

reviews: 104
1. Re: Sports stores ?

The store I've been to most recently is on Boylston Street between Copley Square (Clarendon Street) and Berkeley Street. It's close to sevearl touristy areas, including the Boston Gardens and the Hancock Tower/Prudential Tower. It's called City Sports, and you'll find what you need there but not at any discount price :). There are also one or two stores in the Cambridge Side Galleria Mall, a couple of blocks north of the Museum of Science. Not sure if the Prudential Mall has any. Probably downtown has several, but I don't get there very often to give you specific information. Good luck!

Cambridge, MA
reviews: 11
2. Re: Sports stores ?

Look in the Yellow Pages phone book under "Sporting Goods" when you get here. MVP and Decathlon are the major chains. Many of the stores are in suburban malls which are not easily reached by public transportation, so a word of caution there. No matter where you end up going, feel free to try on gloves for fit. The price of a baseball will be set depending on whether it's "plain" or is covered with 2004 World Series Champion Red Sox autographs :-)

Since America is the land of price competition (it's no use trying to bargain something down) find a glove you like at one place. Then call around to other stores to find out what they'd charge you for the same thing.

Helsingborg, Sweden
3. Re: Sports stores ?

thanks alot.

I have another question. Could you please recommend me a glove. I��m new to baseball but love it. I��m 29 years old (male) with fairly big hands. I will only use for fun. Like in the summer with freinds. Playing around. Not playing any games or anything like that. :)

What would a glove like this cost. I��m thinking no more than 100 or so. Is that way too little ?

Thanks.

reviews: 104
4. Re: Sports stores ?

My husband was recently looking for a softball glove (similar but not identical to a baseball glove)... $100 is average, but many will be more than that. The sales clerks were very helpful in advising my husband, because the gloves are also shaped differently for the position you will be playing on a team (or just for casual fun as you described). I agree with the previous poster that you should try on many gloves, as they are sized for different hands. Of course we found the most comfortable ones to be more expensive :). You may be able to do some research on-line before your trip, if you have time- the phone book idea is excellent when you are in Boston, and also try www.switchboard.com if you have time. It also depends on which month you will be here- in January, for example, the inventory in many stores is more focused on winter sports, but now with spring training starting up for baseball, inventory will only get better.