We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night photography (and safety)

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
reviews: 55
Night photography (and safety)

I'm looking for a good location for photography to get some good shots of the Boston skyline this weekend. I've never been to Boston, will only be there for one evening, and just want to capture a 'representative shot' of the city at DUSK or just after sunset and dark.

Obviously safety is a concern. I'd like to be able to pull up, set up the tripod, click off a few minutes of shots, and head either to another location, or even if one GOOD location I'll be happy. Suggestions would be very appreciated.

An example of some of my work (and what I'm looking for) on my site - jasondozier.com

thanks!

Edited: 5:56 pm, February 25, 2013
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 25
1. Re: Night photography (and safety)

Stunning photographs on your website! I love the look of Boston at night when looking at it from the Cambridge side of the Charles River (Memorial Drive). The other iconic shot would be that of the Zakim bridge. We have had this discussion before. Don't have time to look for you right now but you may want to enter it in the search box above.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 1
2. Re: Night photography (and safety)

The other view is from, of all places, the Moakley Federal Courthouse, which faces the Downtown Harbor. Between the two sites of Cambridge and here, you'll get some GREAT shots.

Boston...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Night photography (and safety)

Take a walk across the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge to Cambridge and photograph the Back Bay skyline from there. It is still "THE" skyline photo of Boston and you will be safe among the MIT students along Memorial Drive. Or, if you walk, you can stop along the bridge and take shots as you see them. The bridge does shake so it's a better golden hour setting.

Call ahead you might get someone from the MIT boat club to meet you and let you out onto their dock for a better shot. They are a wonderful group.

You can take the #1 Bus across the bridge if you like. Here's a cover shot I took from the bridge.

backbaysun.com/2011/…

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Edited: 8:13 pm, February 25, 2013
boston, ma
reviews: 24
4. Re: Night photography (and safety)

In addition to the Mass Ave bridge, you can also get good shots from the Longfellow bridge (Charles Circle to Cambridge near Kendall). You can walk out the bridge from the Charles T station.

Woburn...
5. Re: Night photography (and safety)

Oh Alan, I agree. The view from Moakley is spectacular at night. I doubt a lot of people know this!

Boston...
6. Re: Night photography (and safety)

wbp657 is right and on the Longfellow Bridge you'll find small alcoves where you can set up without being in the way of other pedestrians. I take a lot of afternoon shots of the skyline so I always tend to think about having the sun behind me from the Mass Ave Bridge.

You can zoom in and see them on this map.

http://goo.gl/maps/oeHct

And here's the conversation we had on this topic before.

tripadvisor.com/…45460284

Edited: 7:20 am, February 26, 2013
Boston...
reviews: 15
7. Re: Night photography (and safety)

I second the suggestion to set your tripod on Memorial Drive to get a shot of Boston skyline. It will be a waterfront shot along these lines -

flickr.com/photos/…

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 1
8. Re: Night photography (and safety)

And from the Moakley Courthouse, it looks like this:

www.google.com/imgres…

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 25
9. Re: Night photography (and safety)

The discussion I was referring to on my last post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k592186…

Indianapolis...
reviews: 55
10. Re: Night photography (and safety)

Great suggestions! Much appreciated. Since I only have one evening, and Friday at that, my goal is to hit both the Moakley Courthouse area, and the Longfellow Bridge.

Next question would be where to park for easiest access to both of these locations. If too difficult, may have to settle for just one. However, I have from about 6pm to 10pm to get to these two spots. Can I assume they're both safe during those hours on a Friday night? And again, how about best parking options for both locations without having to walk too far given the cold?

Thanks again so much for the great suggestions. I'm incredibly excited to finally get to your city!

Edited: 8:00 pm, February 26, 2013