We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Input?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 66
Hotel Input?

Would love your input. My mom, sister and I are traveling to Boston, MA in the Fall. We plan to do some of the standard sightseeing things like the Freedom Trail, USS Constitution, Quincy Market, Museum of Fine Arts, Charles Street Antique Shopping, Paul Revere House, etc. as well as a couple of day trips (Salem, Martha's Vineyard, ???). We will not have a car and will be relying on public transportation and walking. Based on the initial research we've done, it would appear that the downtown area is probably the most convenient place to stay - would you agree? Also, based on an initial review of downtown hotels, I'm seeing most of them are averaging $300+/night. Am I overlooking some hidden gems or is that what we should be expecting to pay for this area? Thanks in advance for all of your input. I'm sure I'll be back with other questions as we start to put together our more detailed plans...

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 1
1. Re: Hotel Input?

Our "downtown" includes Downtown, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, the Faneuil Hall Area, the Financial District and the Waterfront. We can't second guess prices you're seeing without knowing specifically when you will be here.

Edited: 12:03 am, January 26, 2013
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 151
2. Re: Hotel Input?

What is your budget? For lower priced places, check out the John Jeffries House, Hotel 140. September and October tend to be extra expensive in Boston due to foliage season (and is usually an expensive city anyway).

3. Re: Hotel Input?

I love the Back Bay area the best. Nice hotels, great restaurants, shopping at the Prudential Center and Newbury St., etc. It's also where the Duck Tour starts and that is a must for anyone visiting Boston for the first time.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 61
4. Re: Hotel Input?

As others have said, the fall is pricey, but right now you are probably seeing "rack rates". Please share your exact dates and we may better be able to help you. If at all possible, avoid Oct 19-20 because this is the weekend of a big rowing race that attracts lots of people, driving hotel prices up and availability down.

As for day trips ... Salem is easily reached via commuter rail or ferry. Martha's Vineyard would be a long trip, with a bus to the ferry and a ferry to the Island. Antoher option, if you are here prior to mid-October would be a ferry to Provincetown, which is at the very tip of Cape Cod.

Happy Planning!

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 66
5. Re: Hotel Input?

Thanks so much everyone. We will be there August 8-14. Just in the prelim stages of planning. Tickets booked and wanting to confirm hotel (currently have a reservation at the Double Tree Downtown, but still looking). Definitely want to be close to the touristy areas - Back Bay sounds like it may be a preferred area. While $300/night is not out of the question, just want to make sure we are not overspending if there are hidden gems in the area for less and do want to make sure we are in a good location for sight seeing. I noticed some of the non-chain places we looked at had a max of 2 people per room so that is another consideration - we do need/want a place that will sleep 3 of us in one room. Any other input is appreciated.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 1
6. Re: Hotel Input?

What places did you encounter that had a cap of two people to a room?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 61
7. Re: Hotel Input?

OK ... I'm not trying to be a wise guy but am trying to manage your expectations. August 8-14 is not fall, it's summer and if you are are expecting to see pretty fall folliage you will be extremely disappointed. You might encounter heat (not as hot as AZ) and humidity. But of course we can't predict the weather this far in advance!!!

Secondly, August is not the priciest time of year, and $300/night should be a sufficient budget. Where exactly are you looking?

The Doubletree you have booked ... is it the one on Washington Street. Or is it the Doubletree CLUB? The Club is not conveniently located for tourist activities.

There is a website called http://www.lastminutetravel.com It is a 'secert' hotel website but the photos make many of the hotels easy to ID. Also, I've been told from reliable sources, if you view it on an I-Pad some sort of 'glitch' makes the hotel names display. You pay at the time of booking but most can be cancelled up to a day or two in advance. Each hotel has it's own policy so read carefully.

If you would like me to look for you, please confirm your dates. I took a quick look and found a few, but I'll look more if you'd like.

Here's a few from Last Minute Travel:

3.5 -star hotel in Back Bay Area/Boston for $188. That's the Marriott Copley Place.

4-star hotel in Back Bay Area/Boston for $196 is the Hilton Back Bay

3.5-star hotel in Downtown Area/Boston for $183 is the Doubletree on Washington Street.

Let me know .....

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
8. Re: Hotel Input?

You are right! I just checked LMT on my IPad and yes, the hotel names are all right there. I clicked to book a secret hotel and there was the name.

Boston...
9. Re: Hotel Input?

I've not downloaded the LMT app but the hotel names are there if you go through the website. Don't tell anyone.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
10. Re: Hotel Input?

Sssshhhhh.........