We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Boston from New York - best way?!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 1
Getting to Boston from New York - best way?!

Hi,

2 of us are heading for a 2 day (1 night) trip to Boston from NY. What do people think would be the best way to do it - train/bus/flight? We would rather time saving methods than cost saving, though we don't want to spend a fortune!!

Also, any suggestions of "must-see's" would be great, thanks! :)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
1. Re: Getting to Boston from New York - best way?!

Please do a search in the box above for both your questions. There are zillions of strings on each.

Massachusetts
reviews: 25
2. Re: Getting to Boston from New York - best way?!

You might want to check the archives here for some perspectives -- this question comes up all the time, and always seems to elicit strong opinions.

Some people love the bus, because there's lots of competition and low fares, and on a good day it's just as fast as the train. Others like the train because it's comfortable and reliable (less affected by weather delays). Flying is usually the fastest way to go, and there are often some decent discount airfares available, but much of the time savings is lost to getting to/from the airport (especially on the New York end) and check-in/security.

I personally like the train -- it just seems like the most convenient and civilized way to go -- but I will fly if I can get a good deal.

Our train operator, Amtrak, offers two types of services: Acela and regional. Acela saves you about 30 minutes and is ever-so-slightly nicer onboard, but most people don't think it's worth the premium.

Winchester...
reviews: 65
3. Re: Getting to Boston from New York - best way?!

I can believe that people have successfully completed train travel between Boston and New York on time or at least not too far behind schedule (because I am trusting if not completely gullible and like to think that people are basically honest) but I have no personal experience of it ever happening, and have instead spent hours sitting on a train stuck somewhere or waiting for my nephew to arrive by train from New Jersey.

On the other hand I have taken the megabus and found it easy and fast, and unbelievably inexpensive.

It used to be that one would always fly to New York for a day trip but now because of extra security at the airport it hardly seems worth it.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 13
4. Re: Getting to Boston from New York - best way?!

I like the train. According to their website, the Acela has been 93.7% on time over the last 12 months, North East Regional has been 91.2% on time. www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

The absolutely fastest way to get there would probably be to rent a car and drive yourself (paying to park in Boston). I'm guessing it might be the most expensive way too, but maybe not?

For "must see's", check the top questions section on the right side of the forum (if you're viewing from a computer vs a smartphone). Walking Freedom Trail is my top choice. It weaves through several interesting and fun neighborhoods.

Somerville...
5. Re: Getting to Boston from New York - best way?!

BoltBus or Megabus are cheap, clean and comfortable

Brisbane Aus
reviews: 96
6. Re: Getting to Boston from New York - best way?!

We had a very positive experience catching the NE regional from NYC. It was on time too.

Edited: 3:30 am, April 27, 2012
7. Re: Getting to Boston from New York - best way?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 pm, June 18, 2013