We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Marathon

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Isle of Wight...
reviews: 14
Boston Marathon

I'll be visiting Boston for 6 days in April with my husband and 13 yr old son. Hubby is running in the Boston marathon so will probably not want to do too much exercise before and after!!

I love shopping and my son likes a bit of history and nature (he's also addicted to roller coaster rides and would spend his life in a theme park if he had the choice!)

The Duck Tour sounds great. Also is it possible to go whale watching or is that in another area?

I'd welcome any ideas for our trip. Thanks :)

Northwestern VT
1. Re: Boston Marathon

The Ducktour is great! So is Old Town Trolley Tours http://www.trolleytours.com/

There is whalewatching just North of Boston, I believe, but keep in mind that the trip will be much longer than the ones that leave from Cape Cod, as they all head to the same general whale feeding area (the Stellwagen Bank, off Provincetown Cape Cod), and it takes longer to get there from Boston than from CC.

Boston Whale watch www.massbaylines.com/whalewatch/default.html

Shopping and History: You can get a little of both in the Faneuil Hall (sp?) - Quncy Market area.

I'd avoid the Freedom Trail because it's a great deal of walking, but you can see many of the sites on Ducktour or Trolley tour.

Boston, MA
reviews: 1
2. Re: Boston Marathon

The duck tour is a real waste of money. It is very expansive and you don't get to see the really great parts of Boston. I would reccommend going to the North end. There is lots of historical points of interest as well as one of a kind shops. If you want to take a tour the trolleys are your best option. The whale watches out of Boston tend to go up North off Cape Ann. I have been ona few and have always had a great time and saw many whales. Also the area near the commons ie. Capitol Hill has great shopping and a lot of historical landmarks. Since this is a small area there will be minimum walking. I hope this helps. Boston is an amazing city I am sure you'll have a fantastic time!

holliston,ma
3. Re: Boston Marathon

Whale watching is possible directly out of Boston Harbor, but remember, you are talking Boston in April. If the whale watches are running they will be cold!!!

The trolleys are expensive, but well worth it if you use them for the day. They will save a lot of walking and will tell a lot of the history of Boston.

Faneuil hall is good for shopping, but has become an outside mall for a lot of chain stores.

Newybury Street is fun for highend boutiques and people watching if that is something you enjoy

Good luck

Isle of Wight...
4. Re: Boston Marathon

Thanks for your suggestions we are really looking forward to our visit. I did wonder what the weather would be like around 18th April? Cold spring or warm spring or should we bring thermals? Hope you are all managing in the thick snow we've been seeing on the news. Cheers:)

England
reviews: 16
5. Re: Boston Marathon

You'll have a great time, I've been to Boston (my fave place in the world) the last 3 years at that time in April, infact I'll be there again this year. The weather in Boston is notoriously strange. Last year, Boston marathon the weather was 80+ degrees, I spent the day on the beach. But it is just as likely to be sub zero, so my suggestion would be to take layers. The freedom trail is great and really not too much walking, if you stop for coffee, lunch etc. A great place to shop if you want a mall is the Galleria, which is easily got to by travelling on the T. Go to Lechmere- it's the end of the line and the huge mall is right there. Have fun.

Isle of Wight...
6. Re: Boston Marathon

Thanks Carolann I'll certainly take lots of layers and also sunscreen - just in case!!

My husband has just got confirmation f his place in the marathon. Is the marathon route easily accssible as we are not sure where it finishes? We are staying at the Holiday Inn on Blossom St which looks a like a central location and is near the tube. Has anyone else got any advice for marathon watching?

Cheers :)

Cambridge, MA
reviews: 12
7. Re: Boston Marathon

Part of the Boston Marathon's mystique is the unpredictable weather! It could be as chilly as upper 40's F or as hot as lower 80's F. But as a rule you'd be fine in lightweight clothing, with a jacket or sweater in the evening.

And it's not as though a Londonder would need to be reminded, but be sure to bring umbrellas.

England
reviews: 16
8. Re: Boston Marathon

Sandollar the Boston marathon finishes at the Prudential Centre, there's a great atmosphere there so get there in plenty of time. You should also go get the feel of it on the Saturday when they run the children's mini marathon races, that's fun too. I'm also staying at the Holiday Inn, Blossom street at the same time as you,soooooo... cya there!!

Isle of Wight...
9. Re: Boston Marathon

Thanks for info everyone. Carolann will you be running or watching the race? Would love to meet for coffee as will probably be awake early due to time differences. We are going out from LHR on 14th until 21st.

Has anyone used the Boston City Pass to get discounted entry to museums etc? It is advertised for $36.75. Is this good value?

:)

reviews: 104
10. Re: Boston Marathon

Boston is strange with the weather in April- you'll generally be safe with slacks, and layers such as a sweater and jacket. Some marathon days have been nice and sunny, others cooler- you will probably not be able to wear shorts & tshirt outside during most your visit, but you never know about a day or two! Also, umbrella or waterproof jacket with hood will be helpful. Enjoy your trip!