We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday from Washington D|C

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Family holiday from Washington D|C

We are a British family of 5 who are flying in & out of DC in August. We have 2 weeks. What should we see & do apart from say 3-4 days in DC itself? Our kids are 4 to 8 yrs old. We don't really enjoy resorts but love, at least moments of, tranquility - think rural Tuscany, Italy etc. Any advise?

reviews: 103
1. Re: Family holiday from Washington D|C

It would be great for you to visit Massachusetts and Cape Cod, but I'm not sure if you're interested in flying to Boston to save time as it's a decent distance to drive (though worth it if you're willing to take the time!). Around DC, there are so many opportunities to see sights south in Virginia, as well as north into Maryland. Baltimore is enjoyable, as is the southern end of the state, and southern Delaware is also nice. Take a look at a map, and decide how far you are willing to drive or fly, how many different hotels you're willing to stay at, and enjoy the seacoast. Philadelphia is also an easy train ride from DC, and New York City is do-able, too! Have a wonderful trip!

Boston...
reviews: 18
2. Re: Family holiday from Washington D|C

August can be very hot along the mid/south Atlantic coast. You could consider a drive through the Smoky Mountians / Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive.

I'm biased, but I think New England has a lot more to offer than almost anywhere on the whole east coast of the country. Two weeks is plenty of time to drive from DC to Bar Harbor, Maine and back. It could be done in a loop, taking the coastal route up, then going inland for the trip back, following the Appalachians. If you don't like resorts, I would recommend against Cape Cod, Atlantic City, etc. You could even "skirt" NYC and Boston by sticking to Rte I-95 until you get north of Boston... at which point, you could take Rte 1 the rest of the way to Bar Harbor. It's a wonderful drive, and takes you through some charming seacoast towns. You can even catch a ferry to Nova Scotia from Bar Harbor, if you're so inclined.

On the way back, you could head inland through the lakes and mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont, cross Lake Champlain, then go south through New York (state) along the Hudson River.

If you're not into road trips with the kids, and just want to put down (temporary) roots, I'd STILL recommend Bar Harbor/Nova Scotia... just drive straight through on I-95 instead of the coastal option, and do the same going back.

England
reviews: 14
3. Re: Family holiday from Washington D|C

New England and DC my 2 favourite places in the US. Whilst in DC, if you have time, take the boat across to Alexandria, a wonderful place to spend the day. I also like Rockport whilst in Mass. It's a really pretty town on the coast, you can get there by train from the North Station, takes about 50mins. Worth a visit.