We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

breaking up our time on BRP

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huddersfield...
reviews: 31
breaking up our time on BRP

Advice please! We are travelling up Blue Ridge Parkway from south to north in Oct 2014. We want advice to know how many nights to stay in various places. We are staying in Asheville, Blowing Rock and Floyd, We are unsure whether to stay 2 or 3 nights in Asheville. If we go for two, would the extra night be better spent in the Blowing Rock or Floyd area?

The reason we thought 3 nights in Asheville ... we do want to drive the stretch to Cherokee (and back) from there. Whilst there, we wondered about Biltmore and want to do a bit of walking. Certainly, we can fill the time. Having said that, Biltmore could be left out if we are missing out by only having one night in the Blowing Rock or Floyd area. Any thoughts??

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
reviews: 49
1. Re: breaking up our time on BRP

There are restaurants, inns and shops at Blowing Rock and at Floyd but not a lot of things to do, at least not in comparison to Asheville.

Decatur, Georgia
2. Re: breaking up our time on BRP

I personally like using Asheville as a homebase when exploring the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are lots of things to do and places to visit, such as Biltmore, The Grove Park Inn, NC Arboretum, Grove Arcade, to name a few. There are quite a few restaurants to choose from, and the architecture in the downtown area is quite interesting. My husband and I recently visited Asheville for the holidays, and if it could be of any help, I posted a few pictures and listed some activities over at my blog:

thedessertengineer.com/2014/…

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Smoky Mountains
reviews: 83
3. Re: breaking up our time on BRP

I suggest staying in Asheville 3 nights and use it as a base to explore. I would spend 2 nights in Boone-Blowing Rock area. If you drive the Blue Ridge Parkway it will take you 2.5 hour plus, depending on traffic and how many times to store to admire the beauty along the way. 1 night in Floyd is good. A nice little town.

Please remember that October is "peak leaf color season". Hotel and Inn rooms can be difficult to get as the time draws closer.

romanticasheville.com/BlueRidgeParkway.htm

www.blueridgeparkway.org

www.grandfather.com

www.mastgeneralstore.com

www.southernhighlandguild.org

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com

Virginia
reviews: 67
4. Re: breaking up our time on BRP

We haven't been to Asheville (yet - hoping to get there for a few days this April) but I have been to Floyd a couple of times. Agree with other posts that Floyd is a cute little town but there really isn't very much to do there..if there is music at the General Store the night you are there, that would be fun and Chateau Morrissette is a nice nearby winery. It sounds like there is much more to do in Asheville area so I would only spend one night in Floyd.

5. Re: breaking up our time on BRP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 10, 2015