We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-Guided Driving Tours

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elgin, South...
reviews: 10
Self-Guided Driving Tours

I will be in Asheville Thanksgiving weekend with my 80 year old grandmother and my mother, who is in a wheelchair. We are coming from Columbia, SC to enjoy the beauty of the mountains. Does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive things for us to do that do not require a lot of walking? We were thinking of driving on the BR Parkway and having a picnic. I'm not sure where to drive though. Any ideas, or other suggestions? Thank you.

Asheville, NC
reviews: 32
1. Re: Self-Guided Driving Tours

You should keep in mind when making your plans that the Blue Ridge Parkway is partially closed between mile marker 355 and 367, north of Asheville around Craggy Gardens. The higher elevations do get ice/snow/etc and can be some times hazardous. You could stop at the Destination Center or the Folk Art Center for easy exploring and/or picnicking if that's what you want to do.

Kentucky
reviews: 4
2. Re: Self-Guided Driving Tours

Perhaps she'd like to see the gingerbread houses at the Grove Park Inn where the National Gingerbread House Competition takes place. I've seen pictures of some pretty amazing creations from last year, so it's on my list of things to see this Christmas season.

See item 3 on this link for more information.

http://www.romanticasheville.com/holidays.htm

Elgin, South...
3. Re: Self-Guided Driving Tours

Thanks for the closure information, although I hate to hear that. I was looking forward to the scenic drive. Does anyone know of other scenic routes nearby?

The gingerbread house exhibit sounds great!

Atlanta
4. Re: Self-Guided Driving Tours

Take the BRP south out of Asheville to highway 276. Go south until you get to Brevard. Take highway 280 to 191 back to Asheville. It is a beautiful drive. Will take you about 3 hours. Don't miss Looking Glass Falls on highway 276.

Elgin, South...
5. Re: Self-Guided Driving Tours

Thanks! Since we are unable to do any hiking, would it be best to view Looking Glass Falls from the overlook on the BRP or go on to Hwy 276?

Atlanta
6. Re: Self-Guided Driving Tours

It is right on highway 276. Right at the road. No hiking to see it. Do a google Looking Glass Falls, Brevard, North Carolina.

7. Re: Self-Guided Driving Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 16, 2013