We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashville - Chimney Rock

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Ashville - Chimney Rock

My husband and I will be visitng Biltmore next week and are planning to spend our last day at Ashville (actually probably just half a day: from morning to 2 pm) doing some easy level hiking.

Is Chimney Rock Park a good choice, in terms of locaiton, distance, and time required to get to the top? (We will be staying at Ashville downtown and will be heading to DC afterwards.)

This is our first time visiting this forum - found so many great advices! Thank you so much.

Asheville, NC
reviews: 32
1. Re: Ashville - Chimney Rock

Chimney Rock is nearly an hour away from Asheville. Once there, you may either walk up to the top, which takes an hour or so, or take the elevator, if it is in operation. There are some spur hikes from the top or a lower portion and a nice waterfall. With travel to and from Asheville I'd say you'd use 6 hours.

Or......you could spend six hours hiking through the Grove Park Inn, Ooooing and Aaaahhing at Gingerbread houses and Christmas decorations over a nice cocktail, maybe lunch.

Washington DC...
2. Re: Ashville - Chimney Rock

Thank you for the info - very helpful!

Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Ashville - Chimney Rock

William S, I think there are many nice hikes closer to Asheville or more on the way to DC. What is your route to DC? Are you going to try to go up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Boone/Blowing Rock? That's a great route if it's not closed for ice/snow.

Chimney Rock is a great park, but it down out of the mountains a bit so it wouldn't be my first choice just because when I'm in the mountains I really want to be in the higher elevation areas where I am surrounded by peaks on all sides. I love to be able to look out and see miles and miles of mountains undulating to the horizon. Chimney Rock is sort of on the eastern edge of the mountains and gives you more of a view of the Piedmont as well and that just depresses me when I want to be in the mountains. It's probably just me! I spend more time in the Boone area (family home there) rather than the Asheville area and always get bummed out coming down 421.

Check out these links:

tripadvisor.com/…TtD

http://www.romanticasheville.com/hiking.html

exploreasheville.com/things-to-do/…

…yahoo.com/six-best-day-hikes-asheville-nort…

http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_0480.asp

4. Re: Ashville - Chimney Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 16, 2013