We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do-able or too much?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mt. pleasant, sc
reviews: 41
Do-able or too much?

My family will be traveling to Asheville from Charleston, SC for Thanksgiving. It’ll be my husband and I, our kids (15 & 12, boy & girl) and our dog. While none of us are total “marshmallows”, my daughter and husband are definitely the most active and in-shape. Another factor is that my daughter can get extra credit in social studies for doing reports/presentations on “personal field trips” to historic properties so I want to make sure we can cram in as much as possible! Please let me know if my first day's plan is too much or doable.

We’ll be driving up to Greenville late Tuesday so that we can get a good start on Wednesday morning. I want to stop at the Carl Sandburg National Historic Site first thing Wednesday morning. Figured we could stop on the way from G’ville to pick up sandwiches (Dean’s Deli?) for a picnic lunch. I have been to the Sandburg place, but is has been 20 year or so since. I do not have any idea how much time to plan on spending there. I know the kids will enjoy seeing the goat farm, and I’ll likely take at least my daughter into the house to tour it. Other than that, I know there are scenic hikes. I just don’t know how long to plan to stay. Will we be rushed if we need to leave at 12:30 or 1?

After leaving, I had originally thought of trying to hit the DuPont Forest State Park, but think that might have to wait until the trip home.

We’ll head on up to Asheville, though I thought maybe we’d take the scenic route by catching the Blue Ridge Parkway just south of Asheville. Our rental house is very near the Grove Park. Looks like taking this route will lead us right by the BRP Visitor’s Center. Is it worth a stop? Is the hiking trail nice?

Once we get to our house (I’m thinking around 3:00 if we stop at the BRP Visitors Center) and unload, I was thinking of driving up to Craggy Gardens/Pinnacle to hike the trails and maybe see the sunset.

We have dinner reservations at the Blackbird restaurant at 8:00. I figure we’ll get back to the house in time to drop off the dog and freshen up before dinner.

Is this a do-able day?

The rest of my trip, I’ll put in a separate post…

Thanks in advance

Asheville, North...
reviews: 116
1. Re: Do-able or too much?

Hi. The first part of the itinerary sounds reasonable. I'd plan on about 2-3 hours at the Sandburg site, including the house tour and a hike. After your visit, though, I would just head on up to Asheville. The Parkway around Asheville to the visitor center isn't especially scenic. I'd grab lunch downtown, head to the house, and then explore during the afternoon. The Parkway visitor center and the Folk Art Center are worthwhile stops, but be aware that with our unusually cool weather the Parkway up to Craggy may be closed by ice. It's snowing on the higher mountains again today. If ithe Parkway is open this sounds like a fine plan, although you won't have time to see the sunset and make it back to Avl for a 6:00 dinner. Perhaps forgo the reservation and try any one of the downtown restaurants. Have fun!

Asheville, North...
reviews: 116
2. Re: Do-able or too much?

Sorry. I misread the time of the dinner reservation. Yes, this will work.

mt. pleasant, sc
reviews: 41
3. Re: Do-able or too much?

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I saw where parts of the Parkway were closed, but I was thinking it was higher elevations than Craggy. I am not "in the know" about snow and elevations as I've spent almost my entire life at or below sea level in Charleston!

I originally planned on dinner at 7:30, but changed it to 8 to give us more exploring time.

I sure hope that we'll be able to get up to Craggy.

Tracie

4. Re: Do-able or too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 30, 2013