We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asheville area airports

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 24
Asheville area airports

I understand that Asheville Regional Airport is a smaller airport. What is the closest major or mid-sized airport? Which larger airport would have the easier drive to Asheville? I'm traveling in late March 2013 with my sister & mother. We'd like to avoid very small planes if possible.

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Smoky Mountains
reviews: 62
1. Re: Asheville area airports

The Asheville Airport is very user friendly, but most likely, would require a connection. There is also Knoxville, Tennessee and Charlotte, NC. Both of these airports are about a 2 hour--- 2.5 hour distance from Asheville. Either alternates airports are easy commutes, via major roadways. No problems.

Texas
2. Re: Asheville area airports

Thanks for that info. What about the Greenville airport? I think Southwest flies there.

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Smoky Mountains
reviews: 62
3. Re: Asheville area airports

Greenville would work also. Does SW offer direct service for you? Air Tran flies into Charlotte. It is owned now by SW.

Asheville, NC
reviews: 32
4. Re: Asheville area airports

Greenville is an hour and 20 min away. Nice airport. Charlotte is 2 hours away. Asheville is small and about 20 minutes from downtown. Southwest does fly from Greenville.

Lake Mary, Florida
reviews: 110
5. Re: Asheville area airports

We fly Southwest once a year from Orlando to Greenville-Spartanburg airport nonstop. It is a very nice small airport. Rental cars are right at the airport. The luggage claim is right next to the rental car counters. It's a quick hour + from their to the Asheville area, via I-85 to I-26.

Texas
6. Re: Asheville area airports

We will be flying from Austin TX but I think we will have to make 1-stop on the way, probably Houston. We really like using Southwest & that hour+ drive from Greenville-Spartanburg sounds good.

Thanks to everyone for sharing the info.

Hendersonville...
reviews: 98
7. Re: Asheville area airports

If you check the type aircraft you will be flying-and this info is available when booking-you can fly small jets (50-60 people) into AVL airport. These smaller jets are great, easy on and off and little baggage time wait.Look for the letters CR-J in type of aircraft and you will be fine.

8. Re: Asheville area airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 13, 2013