We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must-see's in asheville

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leighton Buzzard...
reviews: 98
Must-see's in asheville

We're coming over from the UK in June, spending a week in Asheville then going on to Myrtle Beach. So much info' around I'm trying to sort it out! looking fwd to this holiday so want to make the most of our time - what shouldn't we miss? And what is not really worth it - if anything!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
reviews: 21
1. Re: Must-see's in asheville

The Biltmore estate is not to be missed! It is well worth it. Within driving distance is Grandfather mountain. Very beautiful! Just make sure the weather is good when you go there. Have fun!

Apex, NC
reviews: 8
2. Re: Must-see's in asheville

Hi KokoLB. I love your country (I will be returning there for my 3rd holiday in about 4 weeks from now); however, concerning Asheville, BRUINS mentions that Biltmore is not to be missed. I personally, feel it does not compare to UK architecture, but since you probably do not make it to the US often, you should see it nonetheless. The entry fee is pricey (two adults will run you 80USD). There is also a winery on the grounds and some of the wines are quite good and well priced should you enjoy that sort of thing.

--

Chimney Rock is interesting if you enjoy hiking through a natural formed rockmass (just watch your head). There are so juts from the main rockmass that you'll have to wind your way past.

--

Grandfather Mountain (with the swinging bridge) is really a 'must-see'. With your arrival set for June you will hopefully see a wide variety of wildlife in the mountains.

- Enjoy your stay !

Apex, NC
reviews: 8
3. Re: Must-see's in asheville

BTW, Myrtle Beach is in South Carolina so you should post to that forum for more information. If you're not bringing any kids, then North Myrtle is the place to stay since the nights are a bit wilder there.

anderson sc
reviews: 28
4. Re: Must-see's in asheville

Asheville is a good central place to be.

The downtown is vibrant and kind of "funky." Look for whats going on music wise so you can hear some good mountain or blue grass music. Lots of art galleries. A good walking around city.

Outside be sure to drive up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway and plan some day hikes.

Go by the North Carolina Botanical Gardens.

Venture out for a day trip and mayeb dinner out along the towns of hendersonville, Flat Rock and Saluda.

You might want to take a daytrip in the NW direction and take in Hot Springs and drive in some of western North Carolinas best back roads. You might want to consider booking a couple of nights outside of asheville at a rustic inn. Lots of choices.

Outside of Biltmore House Gates is Biltmore Village for nice outdoor lunch and quaint shopping.

You can get a non-house (grounds only ) pass for Biltmore House and picnick.

Pick up a waterfall guide and go find 'em.

Got to excellent live theater at Flat Rock Theatre. Check the itenaaries for the Diane Worthum theatre as well as Thomas Wolfe Auditorium.

Myrtle Beach is tourist heaven if you like 'stuff." If you want the solitude of quaint beaches and no arcades, then there better choices. Consider checking out Pawleys Island for example.

Wilmington, North...
reviews: 122
5. Re: Must-see's in asheville

Hi Kokol--if you are going to be on the coast I would recommend a trip to Wilmington, North Carolina, about 1 1/2 hours from Myrtle. Wilington's downtown is small but cute with several terrific restaurants and Wrightsville Beach is 15 minutes away. Oodles of places to stay. B&B's downtown and motels everywhere. We will be in Oxford in July, taking a course in Roman Britain then up to Scotland. Tah!

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 45
6. Re: Must-see's in asheville

The Biltmore Estate was built by millionaire industrialist Cornelius Vanderbilt at the turn of the century and resembles a French Chateau. Touring the house and strolling the gardens is a lovely activity. They also have a winery on the grounds and I highly suggest taking the tour. They have free tastings at the end.

Biltmore Village is across the street from the entrance to Biltmore Estate and has some nice shops to spend time in, especially the Christmas shops.

You might also want to visit Grove Park Inn, a huge stone hotel built in the 1910s. It has a lovely view of the mountains. You don't have to be a guest to enjoy sitting on the terrace with a drink, which is a pleasure. They also recently built a spa on site that you might want to take advantage of if you want to relax.

If you enjoy hiking, the Blue Ridge Parkway can take you to any number of hiking trails and waterfalls.