We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about Biltmore Estate

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsville, New...
reviews: 2
A few questions about Biltmore Estate

After some of the poor reviews on TA, I'm debating whether we should take the time out of our trip to go here. We are a family of four with kids ages seven and eight. We are coming down from western NY and traveling through PA, VA, NC, TN and our final destination is KY.

I'm trying to pick a wide variety of things to do so we aren't seeing the same thing over and over again from state to state. Would you consider The Biltmore Estate a "must do" if you were in the area? Our total trip time is nine days, including driving time.

Biltmore looks huge and I'm guessing this is a place that we should spend the entire day. Is this place worth an entire day of a nine-day trip???

We are planning on visiting either Sunday, 4/13 or Monday, 4/14. Which day would be better crowd-wise?

Thanks in advance if you can help me decide what to do!!! ;-)

Indy
reviews: 26
11. Re: A few questions about Biltmore Estate

We took our two daughters in December 2006 and they loved it. They were 8 & 10 at the time. We were staying at the Inn and found a scavenger hunt game they could play while we toured. They really got into it and still talk about the trip. There is a cute candy store and toy store on the grounds.

Cullowhee, North...
reviews: 1
12. Re: A few questions about Biltmore Estate

The Biltmore is huge and since I live close by we visit. I am not sure I would take a day and dedicate to it. Now, I would rather be hiking than touring some dude's old home (lol).

With that said we studied Almstead in our planning courses when I went to grad school to be a city planner. I liked the history of it and my 11 year old loves American history and she likes the home. My six year old was done in about 15 minutes.

The home is so opulant and even garrish (sp) that it is amazing the size of Vanderbilt's ego and bank account. I thank the man for he started America's first school of forestry which can be seen off US 276 at the Cradle of Forestry and much of what the southern portion of the Pisgah National Forest was formerly his estate. My favorite part of the tour is the basement with all the pictures. It is fascinating what it took to build the place. I spend most of time there.

But your original question of taking a day just for that home, I would not do it as a passing through kind of thing. Maybe you should take 9 days in the Smokies and Asheville area and make it a destination type trip? Have a good a time there. i want to do the rangerove off road driving experience (off road school for 4WD trucks).

13. Re: A few questions about Biltmore Estate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 21, 2009