We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break vacation

texas
reviews: 28
Spring Break vacation

My wife and I have reservations for spring break week (March 10-15) at Terlingua Ranch Lodge. It'll be our first visit to Big Bend (National and State) Parks. We're pretty much novices for outdoors but in decent shape (for mid-50's). We're interested in easy to moderate hiking, horseback tours (no experience) and river tours (no experience) as well as scenic drives and stargazing/sunsets (live in Houston so don't see many stars or much scenery normally). Also just some general touristy stuff--shopping, ghost town, etc. Also--trying to decide between driving our Infiniti G35 vs our small SUV--prefer Infiniti for long drive from Houston but not sure about roads in parks for a low to the ground car.

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Western New York
reviews: 1
1. Re: Spring Break vacation

My wife and I usually visit Big Bend during Spring Break. You should be able to access a number of hiking trails without your SUV (the Lost Mine Trail might be a good choice). The Ross Maxwell Scenic drive and the drive to Rio Grande Village are both paved. We have accessed some of the unpaved back roads (River Road and Glen Springs Road) by renting a Jeep at the service station in Terlingua. Two particularly scenic roads I can recommend are FM 170 from Presidio to Lajitas (paved), and the unpaved Pinto Canyon Road from Marfa to Ruidosa. Some people drive Pinto Canyon Road without higher clearence, but I think they spend more time in church than I do....

I know horseback riding is available in Lajitas, I'm not sure if there are other places offering that activity. Far Flung Outdoor Center in Terlingua

is often recommended for river tours.

We always make it a point to have a beverage on the porch before eating at the Starlight in Terlingua. LaKiva in Terlingua is also worth a visit (there's not many other places you can get a beer in a cave).

Enjoy your visit!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 194
2. Re: Spring Break vacation

We did that a similar trip (as passengers) a couple of years ago in a Toyota Land Cruiser, and the 4-wheel drive sure came in handy for some of the "roads" (and I use the term loosely) we traversed. They literally were impassable with a passenger car.

Having said that, it's not necessary to take the kind of trip we did (from Marathon down US 385 into Big Bend National Park, over to Rio Grande City, back onto 170 all the way through Terlingua to Presidio and up to Marfa, with plenty of off-roading in between). The scenery changes periodically, from mountainous to hilly to high desert, etc., and is absolutely spectacular. If your SUV doesn't have 4WD, stick to the main roads, and you'll still see some beautiful scenery.

If you have a concealed handgun license, it's not a bad idea to carry if you're going to go off-road (we never had a problem, but were prepared). Make sure to carry lots of water with you, and be aware you won't always get cell phone reception in the parks.

Leeson-Hedge has given you some great suggestions as far as activities. Our trip was more oriented to sight-seeing. You'll have a great experience. If you have time on the way back, you might swing by the Ft Davis observatory--it's well worth the trip. Have a great time.

3. Re: Spring Break vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, December 15, 2013