We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Castro Valley...
reviews: 20
How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

A friend and I had plans to have a girls getaway in Moab for next week (13-17). We made plans 10 months ago. Now she wants to cancel of course due to the shut down of the NPs. I still really want to go and think we can still have a great time. We are staying at the Red Cliffs Lodge in a 2 bedroom cabin. Any advice on how to convince her to still come?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
1. Re: How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

Greetings. yeah not too cool about the government shutdown. There is still a ton to do around Moab even without the parks. Here are a couple of links for ideas:

http://www.discovermoab.com

visitutah.com/national-park-travel-advisory/…

I think you would have a lot of fun. It's an amazing area. You could even try river rafting on the Colorado, everything from a float trip by Fisher Tower to the class V rapids of Cataract Canyon. Westwater would be an excursion in between in terms of intensity.

Moab is THE mountain biking mecca. There are trails for every ability level from family friendly to extreme. Some of the rental shops will even run shuttles so you are driven to and picked up from the trail. There are also jeep safaris and a new zip line adventure as well as rock climbing.

Hiking like Corona Arch, Fisher Towers, Dead Horse Point, etc will still be there. And you could even do longer day trips going to Monument Valley via Butler Wash Ruins, Moki Dugway and San Juan Goosenecks or Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse Canyon to the west. The La Sal Mountains might be hitting their peak for fall colors and you could take a scenic drive and even go on some hiking trails to go in the trees.

I would imagine there is a day spa somewhere in Moab, but you might want to save that for when you get home, so you're not wasting daylight hours indoors. The restaurants and breweries will still be open. Eklectika Cafe and jailhouse are great breakfast spots. Moab Brewery has great micros and food.

Still plenty of fun for a few days and you never know... They just might open the parks in time for your arrival.

2. Re: How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:06 am, October 09, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 203
3. Re: How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

Good advice from Shake. Really, Moab is one of the best places to go during the parks shutdown as there are SO many other things to do. It's not unusual at all for us to go down to Moab and not go into the parks. That's especially true if you're basing out in Red Cliffs. You have a ton of things to do right in the Castle Valley/Fisher Towers area.

I'm betting the shutdown will be over. But even if not, you'll find plenty to do.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
4. Re: How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

Come on Jennifer. And plus, Moab will have a bunch of cute, scruffy faced, lean muscly, rock climber types to hang out with. Should be fun, if you're fun. :)

Castro Valley...
5. Re: How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

Thanks everyone! I think you have helped me convince her!

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
6. Re: How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

Red Cliffs is set in a beautiful place. It would be a treat for me to spend a couple of days just in that ranch like setting.

The one nice thing about the Moab area is that the National Parks only encompass a fraction of the terrific scenery in the area

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
7. Re: How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

Just saw this article today too. Might want to find out if they opened up The Needles district of Canyonlands. Could do a great day hike at Chesler Park or just a quick peak into the area if you don't wish to do the entire loop.

sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56976191-78/county-ly…

besthike.com/northamerica/…chesler.html

Castro Valley...
8. Re: How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

Wow, very promising, thank you Shake801!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
9. Re: How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

Parks could be opened by tomorrow.

www.ksl.com/…

Castro Valley...
10. Re: How to convince a friend to come during Gov't shutdown?

Here we come!