We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab Itinerary Help

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westbrook, Maine
reviews: 14
Moab Itinerary Help

Yikes! The fiery furnace tour is getting sold out and I want to finalize our plans for Moab. Here's what I've got so far:

Oct 12 - drive from Torrey to Moab, stopping in Little Wild Horse Canyon (hiking the short version) and Goblin Valley SP.

Oct 13 Moab

Oct 14 Moab

Oct 15 Moab

Oct 16 drive to Monument Valley via Moki Dugway (eek!) and possibly Natural Bridges NM

Here's what we would love to do:

Arches - Park Ave., Delicate Arch, Devil's Garden - probably shortened version to Landscape Arch), Fiery Furnace hike (10a.m. and 2p.m., not available at all on Oct. 13)

Canyonlands Ballooning (early a.m. till about 10:30 or 11)

Dead Horse SP

Canyonlands Islands in the Sky (overlooks)

Moab Adventure Center's afternoon raft that starts in the Fisher Towers area around 11:30am

Is this too much for three full days?

I'd say we could do the Fiery Furnace and rafting on one day, but I don't think it will work since the tour is at 10AM or 2PM,and the rafting is at 11:30. I guess we could do the rafting in the a.m. and the 2p.m. Fiery Furnace tour, but I think it might be cold on the river for the a.m. raft. From what I read, doing the Fiery Furnace and the Devil's Garden and the rest of the stuff in Arches would not be possible in one day, but I'm open to that if it can work.

I hear it's really crowded at the Delicate Arch at sunset. Thoughts?

At some point, we want to hit the little museum in Moab. Oh, and I would love to see a Dinosaur track. :-)

We're staying at the Kokopelli Inn in Moab.

Thanks, as always, for any help!

15 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
1. Re: Moab Itinerary Help

Probably a bit much for your time. River trips take a good chunk. I would think about dropping that if you need more time. Yes, crowds at Delicate Arch sunset but still worthwhile experience. One other challenge you have in October is days are getting shorter. A Hummer Tour on Hell's Revenge is also a lot of fun.

Overall, I think you have a decent plan. Just try to eliminate a thing or two.

Have fun.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
2. Re: Moab Itinerary Help

Agreeing that you're trying to do too much. Rafting is a full day's worth, even if it claims to be a half day event. It's just the difference between a really long day or a full day. In any case, don't try to plan anything else o top of a half day on the river.

I'd make the Fiery Furnace hike a priority. Book it now before the option disappears. It is very possible to do Delicate Arch after FF, as they are relatively close to each other.

Moab, Utah
reviews: 3
3. Re: Moab Itinerary Help

Hi,

I have to respectfully disagree with the notion that a river trip shoots the entire day.

An AM 1/2 day trip with the Moab Adventure Center or my company Red River Adventures will see you back in Moab and at your car by Noon. This obviously leaves the entire afternoon and evening to do with what you wish.

Self guided hikes are wonderful but a river trip, even a half day, is an opportunity to spend time with a local and learn something about the area that you will not learn while hiking alone with the family. Local history, geology, flora, fauna and even Johnny Depp's doings in Moab are all topics that are often touched upon while enjoying some time on the Colorado River. More information can be picked up in a morning with a good river guide than in days spent hiking on one's own.

Splashy fun and incredible scenery, about 55 bucks. The wealth of information that comes along with it, free.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
4. Re: Moab Itinerary Help

I wasn't implying that a half day river trip shoots the whole day. My point is that the fresh air and the water and the sun will tire most people to the point that scheduling a second tour or paid excursion makes the day too long. I think river trips in Moab can be the most exciting single activity that one can choose. But combining it into a day that forces you to rush to another event is over planning.

Do the rafting, but keep the plan for the remainder of the day flexible. Sorry for the confusion.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
5. Re: Moab Itinerary Help

I always love going rafting and in Moab it's extremely scenic and such a different way to view the desert landscapes with a juxtaposition on the water. Very serene too. If you are doing the Fisher Towers float trip, you won't be a canyon and in the shadows and the sun will heat things up quickly. The company will likely have splash jackets, fleeces, or wet suits until it's warmer too. I would try to book in the morning.

You might also consider dropping Dead Horse Point if you're crunched for time. The view down to the Colorado River will be similar in many spots in Canyonlands.

I would still do Delicate Arch. It's worth the view and the crowds. You might not get the picture or solitude you would like but it's still an amazing scene. And definitely do the Fiery Furnace tour.

I'm not sure of any dinosaur tracks in the Moab area but there is one in the San Rafael Swell a couple of hours away. Might be worth considering a slight detour if you are heading back to Salt Lake City from Moab. Lots to see.

Westbrook, Maine
6. Re: Moab Itinerary Help

All great info! Thanks, everyone! I do know what you mean, Red Rox, and things usually take more time than we think anyway. I would like to do the raft trip, if we can.

By the way, riverpeople, I may have spoken to you on the phone. I called and was hoping to go with your company, but it's my understanding that you're not running raft trips in mid-October. If that's not the case, let me know!

So, it sounds like we are being ambitious. I see that some people go to Dead Horse State Park on their way to Moab from Torrey. Maybe that's an option. I kind of wish we had two nights in Torrey now, so we could explore a bit in Capitol Reef, but I hope we'll at least get to see a little of it either the day we leave Bryce and head to Torrey, or the day we head to Moab.

So what's a good plan for the full day in Arches? Can we hike a little around Park Ave, do Devil's Garden to Landscape Arch, Fiery Furnace, and then get to Delicate Arch? It sounds like a lot to me! If not, then what to leave out or try to do another day?

Ballooning takes up a morning and it pretty pricey, but it's rated so highly on TA that we thought it might be a great splurge. Of course, that's weather dependent, so we'll see.

I noticed that there's only a $3 person penalty to cancel the Fiery Furnace hike, so I'll probably book one, just in case. I think if we don't drop the rafting or ballooning, then it's either Devil's Garden or Fiery Furnace on our full day in Arches.

Good point about the shorter days in October. I've been trying to take that into consideration and that's why I want to go with a plan in hand, rather than wasting time trying to figure it out upon arrival. We can always adjust the plan!

Salt Lake City, Utah
7. Re: Moab Itinerary Help

In regards to dinosaur tracks in the Moab area we did stop a couple of years ago at the Copper Ridge Sauropod Dinosaur Tracks which is about twenty miles north of Moab and just off of 191. It is a short distance off of the trailhead with a pit toilet. We admittedly had a difficult time making them out. Bring a water bottle to make the tracks clear. Print off and bring the descriptive brochure to aid in making them out:

www.discovermoab.com/pdf/Copper%20Ridge.pdf

There is also a dinosaur track off of Potash Road. This one was really easy to spot. Lots of nice petroglyphs in the same area. We used the information from climb utah to find that one:

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/potash.htm

There is also the Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail north of Moab off of 191 (easy to combine with Copper Ridge). This one however doesn't have any tracks but lots of bones. Don't attempt this one if its muddy due to deep sand washes. We almost took out a tent gunning through one and I missed a turn on the road. Got our heart racing and was so grateful nobody was at the site at the time.

Moab, Utah
reviews: 3
8. Re: Moab Itinerary Help

There are also Dinosaur tracks right next to Matrimony Springs on HWY 128. Just a few feet west of the spring itself on the sloping rock that everyone walks on to fill their containers. Almost everyone walks on them and few notice.

Westbrook, Maine
9. Re: Moab Itinerary Help

Thanks again! I'll check out this info on the Dino tracks!

Decatur, Illinois
reviews: 6
10. Re: Moab Itinerary Help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4LKPqrF4hs

My favorite, but a youtube search of canyonland arches balloon trip turned up several other videos too.

Also, the store in the visitor center of Arches will sell you a $10 CD with a audio tour of Arches. Yu can return it and get $5 back.

Edited: 10:48 am, August 24, 2013
Reply to: Moab Itinerary Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted