We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day stop in Moab with little kids

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
denver, colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
one day stop in Moab with little kids

We have one day and 2 nights in Moab with our 2 boys (ages 6 and 4). We'd love to visit Arches, maybe take them on a Jeep guide trip, maybe some easy biking trails (both are fairly good riders). What suggestions do you have? We have a room booked at the Hampton Inn already for both nights. Also restaurant/attraction suggestions?

We loved visiting this area before we had kids, but haven't done it with them before. Thanks for your help!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
12,960 posts
270 reviews
1. Re: one day stop in Moab with little kids

With only one day, you are somewhat limited in how much you can get in. Arches is nice as there are many easy hikes the boys can enjoy like Park Avenue, hanging around the Windows Section, Devil's Garden maybe. If you do a Jeep or Hummer tour, look at doing something on Hell's Revenge, which is close to town and full of thrills.

Hampton Inn is a few blocks north of the main core of downtown. If you like Mexican, Hacienda is easy walking distance right next to Lin Ottinger's Rock Shop - definitely take the boys there. Sweet Cravings is a small breakfast/sandwich show also close to the Hampton. Moab Brewery or Zax are also fun spots with kids.

I'm not sure I would recommend biking. You really don't have time. And there's nothing all that unique or interesting you can realistically do with their age group other than ride around town, which is great, but you'll get a lot more out of your time if you hike in Arches and take a Jeep or Hummer tour.

Have fun.

Edited: 12:36 am, June 19, 2013
Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: one day stop in Moab with little kids

Look for a ranger-led activity at Arches NP. They are especially good for kids and usually last 1 to 2 hours.

denver, colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: one day stop in Moab with little kids

Thank you so much for all those suggestions! I know it's a really short time, we definitely want to make the most out of it while we're there

Diamond Bar...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4. Re: one day stop in Moab with little kids

Here's my two cents, I went to Moab last year solo with two kids (6 &7), they enjoyed Sand Dune Arch & we did a half day float trip. Granting it was August & temperatures were into the 100s. Kids loved the river as they got to jump in and ride through a mini rapid. We packed a picnic lunch & hiked Mesa Arch (Canyonlands). Waited for the crowds to dwindle & took photos which looked like we had the entire place to ourselves. A short drive from Moab is Potash Road. It's a beautiful drive along the Colorado River. You will get to see petroglyphs & dinosaur tracks (short drive - about 5-10 min from town). Enjoy your trip & before you know it you'll be planning your next trip back to Moab!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
73 posts
5. Re: one day stop in Moab with little kids

I have two boys, ages 6 & 7 and I can share with you what their favorite things are. Would apply to your four year old too as we have visited when they were younger as well. Right outside of the Arches entrance on the west side is a huge sand dune hill. I'm not sure what time of year you are visiting (it may be too hot) but my boys can run and roll down that hill for hours. Their favorite thing inside Arches is Sand Dune Arch. It's right off of the road, so it's not a hike and easy to get too, but it's a huge sandbox in between some fins so nice and shaded. We always take our chairs and sit and relax while the boys play with dump trucks, shovels, and buckets. We have easily spent 2-3 hours in just this one spot and then they complain when it's time to leave. We've even gone twice in one day because they have so much fun there. There are also rocks to climb here as well.

Their absolute favorite hike in the Moab area is Negro Bill Canyon. The trailhead is on 128 about three miles up from 191. It's two miles to the Morning Glory Bridge, so four miles roundtrip (if my memory serves me right). We got lucky and arrived when there were people rappelling so they enjoyed watching that. The reason they loved this hike so much was because we crossed the stream a good six or seven times. They loved all of the boulder hopping and the hike kept them very engaged and entertained. We adults loved it because it was mostly shaded among the trees and was really pretty. Just be aware that there is a lot of poison ivy underneath the bridge so keep little hands away from it.

Edited: 3:30 pm, July 03, 2013
Level Contributor
427 posts
222 reviews
6. Re: one day stop in Moab with little kids

These are all good suggestions! Here's another idea too: If they're into dinosaurs, there are some great tracks that can be found around the area. My favorite are the ones at Copper Ridge in which you can see the tracks of a brontosaurus and allosaurus. Take Rt. 191 north of Moab for 23 miles. Make a right turn .75 miles past mile marker 148. There is a sign which states to turn to access (I believe) the Klondike bike trail. Follow the signs leading to the dinosaur tracks (about two miles). There's a parking lot and you'll have to walk about five minutes up to the top of the hill where you'll find signs describing what to look for. Some of the tracks are very deep - they look like deep holes in the ground. Folks have put cairns to show where some others are located. Bring some water to fill in the indentations in order to see them better. There are some bones sticking out as well, though they're a bit hard to figure out what's what.

7. Re: one day stop in Moab with little kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 05, 2014