We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 16
Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Hi everyone, I'm really excited about our roadtrip around the south west and would like to get everyone's opinion on my itinerary.

I've was initially supposed to leave vegas on a tuesday, rent a car and then drop our car off at salt lake city airport for a 1139pm flight to NYC on a Friday which would've given me more time to visit more places. I found out last night that it would cost me close to $550 to rent the car from vegas and to drop it in SLC. Either that or rent from Fox car rentals which is really cheap but the review on yelp has turned me off which means we have to rent from vegas and return the car in vegas as well.

These are the places we wanted to visit in those 4 full days, my initial itinerary:

1: Vegas to Zion. Stay a night in Springdale.

2: Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef. Stay a night in Torrey.

3: Arches. Stay a night in Moab.

4: Canyonlands. Leave Moab and travel to SLC.

My updated one seeing I have to travel all the way back to Vegas

1: Vegas to Zion. Stay a night in Springdale.

2: Bryce & Zion and all the way to Moab.

3: Canyonlands & Arches. Stay a night in Moab.

4: Leave Moab and drive all the way back to Vegas for 11pm flight.

My question is, despite the rush the above should be achievable? I really don't want to cancel this altogether. What extra stops on the way do you think we could squeeze in?

More about us: We're not really crazy about the outdoors or hiking for that matter but I wanted to do something different this time instead because I am floored by how amazing the scenery is - I absolutely loved the grand canyon. I would say I prefer easy hikes and would not necessarily feel like i've missed out a lot if I don't get to do all the hikes or trails. From my research, I really want to visit canyonlands (Island in the Sky) and Bryce, in fact I'm more interested in going to Moab than Zion.

If the responses are mostly negative in regards to the itinerary, I might swap moab with lake powell instead. This would be better?

Sorry this was a bit long. Thanks in advance.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 372
21. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Me and RedRox in drag; that will not be a pretty picture.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 4
22. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

To me it looks like there is a lot of time allocated to ''eating'' and ''freshening-up'' type of activities. And then for 2 of the nights there is nothing after 18:30 / 19:00. Utah has beautiful sunsets, maybe you should plan on going to see those in some of the parks?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 123
23. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Boofy, I'm with traveler_Liene, not to criticize you at all, because your tentative plan is probably fairly common. And it is one reason if someone is out on the trail by 7am they'll have it all to themselves. If you want to get the most out of your limited time get out earlier, do not spend an hour and a half for lunch (unless it is at a picnic table with a great view), or an hour at prime time freshening up.

But that is just the way I travel through the parks.

Sydney
24. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

OH thx, I am now tossing between 1 Zion, 1 Bryce, 2 Page or 2 Zion, 1 Bryce and 1 Page. Will spend the next few days researching more on specific things to do and see in each area to decide how to split my time.

Traveler Liene, sunsets sound like a good idea, didn't think of it at first. I don't mind sacrificing some time for sunsets and great scenery seeing we generally eat around 8pm.

Kbecjeans, that's ok. Not a morning person and very much a night owl, hard habit to kick. I thought it might take us a while to get to a place for lunch as it includes travelling time but maybe after more research i might save myself some time. What do you guys generally do for lunch? Pack a sandwich?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 372
25. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

When I'm out in the parks, lunch is quite often trail mix and some sort of granola bar (maybe a Pop-Tart) eaten on a log or rock along the side of the trail. The aim is to spend as much time as possible in the parks and hopefully on the trails.

Remember to pack out your trash.

Sydney
26. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

hi everyone, is it advisable for me to get the $80 pass?

I am going to Zion but since I won't be driving into the park but taking the shuttle from Springdale I won't have to pay the $25 entry fee?

If I'm not wrong I would need to pay $25 per vehicle or Bryce. Does that mean if I were to also take the shuttle instead of driving the trails I'd have to pay another $25 per person?

As for Page, I haven't fully planned this side of the itinerary yet, planning to go to upper antelope canyon, horseshoe bend, not sure about glen canyon dam but if I did their guided tours I wouldn't have to pay the $25 for entry would I?

Thanks in advance!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 123
27. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

You will pay to enter the parks. Either $25 per car or (at Zion) $12 per person whether you drive in, walk in, or take the shuttle. Glen canyon dam tour is $5. The Antelope tribal parks are not covered by the national park pass so you pay $6 per person - but that does cover the entrance fee for both canyons if you tour both but not the tour guides.

It is generally better to buy the pass if you go to three or more parks. Though even that depends as some parks charge less. In your case not sure it would be better unless you are expecting to visit other places near you. It is good for a year.

As for lunches I like to have a cooler with lunch meats, cheese, fruit etc. or we will pick up a premade sandwich from a market. Think simple.

I would give two days to Zions or Page unless you use Bryce as base for a day trip up hwy 12.

28. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 08, 2014